Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bankstown Half : 88.31 @ 4.12 pace

No run on Friday or Saturday - I suppose that is an extreme form of taper.

When I left home it was raining very heavy and I really thought about returning home but once I started heading out west it began to ease. It was very light drizzle when I arrived and about 12 degrees which was not cold.

I was not sure what I could run knowing the course is very difficult to get rhythm going with lots of turns and even more hills up the top end of the course. On a good day I thought I would get under 90 and if it was not so good something much slower. I wanted it to be really hard for the first 5k and before the hills started - got to 5k under 20 minutes (wtf where did that come from with only training at 5 minute pace) and then eased back to about 4.15 per k pace and pretty much kept that all the way and finished in 88.31. Pleased.

I have still been following Lydiard and this was really another test of whether training in the 4.40 - 5.10 k per minute pace can produce a better pace on race day with a short taper. The system did it again today and the more times it proves itself the more I am convinced I will continue to use it as the main theory behind my training.

There were some short steep hills on this essentially 2 lap course and I managed to run them well and once at the top to resume a good pace without a 'rest' - problem is I cannot run downhill if my life depended on it.

6 comments:

Aunty said...

Great result today!!

Why do i get the feeling you are on a mission ;)

C u later in the week.

K

Rob said...

That certainly was great result Eagle. You just keep on bringing them home. For you and Horrie, 2007 is proving to be a memorable year.

Jen said...

Congratulations Ray. Another fantastic result. It seems the experiment is building momentum!

Clairie said...

Excellent Run Eagle. Must be such a good feeling to be at the top of your game!! Hope you continue to train well and achieve great results. I love reading all about it.

Make sure you take that Tesso out for some runs. She is dead keen to get out to do some laps of the bay...I am sure if you made plans to run together she would be there in a flash.....I think she just needs a little push to get out early in your cold/wet weather.

Ewen said...

A good recommendation for Lydiard there Ray. Keep it going - I'm sure there'll be more unexpected an pleasing results.

Horrie said...

You have really hit a purple patch Ray. I had to let you go just after the start as I knew I couldn't match it with you without blowing up.