Monday, March 10, 2014

Preparation for Newcastle marathon 6 April

Sure it is over the 3 weeks away and I have just started week 5 of treatment with 2 weeks to go. So treatment will end and I have just under 2 weeks to the marathon. The concern is whether any of the predicted side effects will have kicked in.

They are supposed to start after 3/4 weeks of treatment but I really have not had any of the possible issues. Fatigue a little but I think that had more to do with hard training and work, no lack of appetite no upset stomach. So life I all regards seems unaffected.

On that basis I continue to train daily. The focus has now turned slightly towards adding some shorter faster sessions and not having so many longer runs. For this marathon the base is about built and I am maintaining but not aiming to significantly improve it. So shorter faster and by that I do not mean 1k reps but hard 10k, hard laps of the Bay and hard 5k sessions moved into longer runs.

Okay so no 1k reps but I do do 5 x hills. The hill is runable and about 110m long. They are done flat out with a walk back. They all seem to be 31 seconds. Might need to add something to increase the stress.

Is the change working. Yes. My usual 13.3k run with lots of hills was stagnating in the 66.xx - today low 64 and first time below 65. Could be a fluke or the training. Now if there are no side effect issues with the treatment and training continues to go well, Newcastle has the potential to be a good run. Time, not sure. I don't know the course.

No comments: