Tuesday, March 25, 2014

11 days to Newcastle Marathon: What training now?

Combined with attending radiotherapy for the last 6 weeks I have been able to continue training well. 

I have done the long runs although I rarely have time to run over 19k each day I some times run that 3 days in a row and so I am running fatigued and try to run each day quicker that the day before. However training at a time has been a challenge with the side affect of treatment being increased fatigue. Any way I have done what I could.

A few weeks I stopped doing back to 19k runs and starting focusing on my 13k loop, 5 x 110m hills felt out, 7k around the Bay as quick as possible and the same for 5k's. The Bay and 5k have resulted in runs averaging 4.20 for the Bay and 4.10 for the 5k. For me good pace. This was the sharpening part based on the Lydiard system.

My half on Sunday of 1.37 showed all of this was paying off. 

I am in the taper and I will now add some speed sessions. Yes speed sessions, something that I rarely incorporate into my preparation but I want to continue towards a possible sub 3.30 marathon and so i plan to finish off the preparation with 2/3 sessions of 1k reps getting as close to 4 minutes as I can by the 3rd sessions. Fingers crossed.

No comments: