Monday, May 06, 2013

First Marathon Photo from 1982

I was going through some old scanned photos on my laptop to sort them on the weekend. I came accros this.






A finish in my first marathon in May 1982, It was called the 'Legal and General Marathon' and started at Manly Beach at the surf club on the southern end and travelled up to one of the beaches to the north and back again to the start.
 
I have no idea why I entered - Deeks Commonwealth Games run in Brisbane was later in the year. So I was not inspired by that run maybe there was just a general interet in running and the marathon in general. I do however remember hitting the wall a loooooooooooooong way from the finish and walking a lot to the finish line.
 
Clothing has come a long way in 31 years. Cotton Tshirt and ex footbal shorts. I think the shoes were New Balance. I think it was an ordinary wrist watch and a 4.25 finish.

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Great photo. You were No. 87. There were probably 100 people in it. Those were the days!

Ewen said...

Classic photo Ray. My first was in '81 - wearing much the same but Dunlop KT26s - good shoe in the day.