Friday, May 10, 2013

College of Law and work

Its is not often I write about much other than running. That is not because my life is only running. It is greater than  that but it is an important part and I choose to keep the rest of my life where it is.

However I thought I would write about this. Not sure why ...

I have been at the College of Law 12 years teaching and for the last 6 years teaching a post graduate degree in Family Law. That work has taken on average 4 days a week and I have tried to manage a busy family law practice with one day a week in the office. But more often than not it meant some late nights and weekends when not travelling to run. 

My private practice work was increasing with me having more difficulty in managing the work in a professional and timely manner. I was not happy trying manage both. The difficulty was that my contract with the College required me to attend 4 days a week and working remotely was not encouraged although a lot of work and teaching was online.

Also the work came in waves depending on whether assessments had to written or marked or workshops held. Some times it was 12 hour days other much less. Anyway my Contract expired yesterday and I decided not to renew it. But that does not mean I am no longer a lecturer at the College I remain doing the same work but as a casual.

That means I can come and go as the workload requires. I can work remotely. I can spend more time in the office and do what I like most and that is appearing in Court on hearings. So despite the change there is no change in my work at the College but a very big change in allowing me for flexibility.

I think I am happy with the change. 

I feel very free arising from having the flexibility that I did not have previously but still doing exactly the same work at the College.




No comments: