Monday, July 23, 2012

Taper & Hunter Valley Marathon: 3.51.15

I missed running on Thursday as a taper. However I ran the Bay on Friday and Saturday morning. Each at about 4.35 pace. Should I have been in recovery/taper mode - probably yes. Why did I run ? I felt like it.

I drove up to the event on Sunday morning. Just on 2 hours from home. Nice to sleep at home before the marathon but needed to be up at 3.30am but that really was not an issue. The drive is traffic free and just short enough not to be a burden. I was surprised how many cars were about as I drove through the city.

No fog or dew but overcast with grey threatening clouds. A slight breeze that certainly increased the wind chill factor and made it feel much colder. I therefore ran in a long sleeve top and tri-top over it thinking that as it got warmer the long sleeve could be taken off. It never got warm and in fact at the start of the second lap the wind picked up the cloud cover increased and despite being warm from running it was still bitterly cold on the skin.

I thought 3.50 and had 3.51.15 @ 5.28

It was a firm 1.53/1.58 split. That was okay as I passed many in the second half and was passed by none. So a few slowed down more than me. It was not a quick time but I as pleased as I ran all the way and maintained 5.30 pace over the last 17k when there are some tough hills and the possibility to blow time. It was pleasing to maintain the pace over the back half. 

A couple of days of no running and then a few days of a lap of the Bay each day. Predictions for the M7 marathon on Sunday. I don't have any speed but I do think I have acquired some endurance/stamina so I should be able to maintain a good pace in the last 10k because it is essentially down hill. Problem is I will start with the 3.30 group which might burn me out early resulting in  slow down over the last stages. I am prepared to take that risk to put me in a position for a 3.30 finish. 

If I blow up - well at least I was in there with a chance and gave myself the option. No thrill in starting off with a 3.45 in mind and finishing with that. The excitement will be seeing if and how long I can hold on. That is the challenge that should keep the morning interesting. 

1 comment:

Ewen said...

You ran strongly Ray. I'm amazed you can recover in a week and run the M7! The 5 minute k pace will be a good challenge.