Monday, July 02, 2012

6 hour track event and Gold Coast Marathon

Sri Chimnoy 6 hour: 61.822k

A perfect winters day with clear blue skies and no breeze. My wife came out to crew for me. She was sitting track side and could read the newspaper and every 20 minutes hand me a drink and food. Every 2 hours I changed shoes to make sure the same muscles were not over worked on the flat track.

The run was mentally tough and I did have a bad patch just after 3 hours to about 4 hours. During that time I ran with no purpose and so my paced dropped of just slightly. I was aiming to run 63.6k that would have created an Australia Age record. To be honest with the 3.34 at Kemspey Marathon I thought that would be achieved. I did not achieve that and was disappointed but I suppose pleased to have run over 60k in the 6 hours. 

A friend of mine from AURA who is a bit compulsive with numbers and stats says it is ranked 15th in the world this year with a big bunch between me and 64k. It was an interesting experience and if the opportunity came again and the venue and time were okay I would run another one. 


Gold Coast Marathon: 3.42.41


I guess the day for the marathon went as I should have expected. I was thinking on a very good day to go close to 3.30 although that should have not been even a thought with the run the week before still very much in the legs. 


So I started of behind the 3.30 ballons but never focused on staying with them, I was pleased to run very even splits of just over 5 minute k's to 25k. Then the fatigue really set in and the running quickly changed from a light gilde to a heavy plod. The next 5k splits went 27/28/29 minutes and thet felt tough the running was like running with sticky honey on the soles of the shoes.


So with 1.46/1.56 splits for a 3.42.41 it was expected. This run was not about even splits but pushing hard for a long as I could on fatigued legs and then pushing through the rapied decline. I assume others were suffering worst as at 25k I was in 1571 position and finished in 1257 position. It seems some 300 odd runners slowed more than me.


I ran fresh last year for 3.50 so a nice improvement. All goes well for the longer term goals for later in the year. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you say the build up of heat inside your body contributed to the slowdown from 25k onwards...
?

alan

Samurai Running said...

Hey Eagle,

Very good to read that you are running well and have plans to run better! Wonderful stuff. All the best with it.

Scott

Ewen said...

You looked pretty good out there Ray - both at 9k and coming down the finish chute.

Bad luck about missing the 6hr record, but you're not far off it - well within your reach next time.

TokyoRacer said...

Hard to believe there are 14 60 year olds in the world who can run more than you ran. But I'll bet they don't run a marathon soon after!