Thursday, November 10, 2011

GNW weekend: Thoughts

Well where did that 2 years go. It was two years ago that I last started the GNW 100 miler. I was not fit and recall vividly the moment that I told Tall Geff and Seris to leave me as I was in trouble and I did not want to hold them up. That was about 20k into a 175k race.

I think then I knew it would be a case of when I DNF'd and not if. Well I did DNF but really I was timed out at CP3 at about 80k when I got in after the cut off. That has been on my mind ever since and last year I pulled a hamstring a week out and had DNS. IT is 3 to me and 2 the course in the 100 miler - so I am in front and plan to stay that way.

I had a minor hamstring issue in early May and since then no issues and so I have been able to train and run well. I managed a PB at the GH 100 miler in September and my best marathon time was a 3.36 in October. Since then I have trained consistently and by my standards well. So in regard to preparation I believe I have done all that I could over the last few months.

The course is a monster in regard to the rise and fall. Well I just need to manage that on the day/night/day. Navigation is a real issue if you are not familiar with the course or do not pay attention but thankfully I have run the course enough that I do not need to refer to the maps or directions.  (probably a statement I will regret). So that should not be an issue.

My gear is all that I have used before.

So what I am saying is that I am prepared as I can be. I know I am physically strong. Mentally I believe I am strong because of my fitness and my past experience in the race. So I just need to be thinking during the race and keep mentally positive at all times.

A expect to finish and that is the only objective.  I have a race plan as regards times and will use that as a guide to keep me well ahead of the cut off times. My visualisation at the moment is all about running down the beach at Patonga late afternoon on Sunday.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Go Eagle! Good luck. I'll be thinking of you this weekend.

TokyoRacer said...

Yes, best of luck. Day/night/day...boggles the mind.

Ewen said...

Hope it's going well Ray. I saw Plu was heading out to give you a cheer.

Anth said...

Ray,

Best of luck this weekend. It sounds like your preparation has been sensible and appropriate, so I am sure you will feel that sand under your feet on Sunday afternoon.

Look forward to reading the report.

cheers,
Anth