Sunday, November 27, 2005

GNW - Trail Run

Thought I would do something different this morning. I live not far from the Great North Walk as it passes through Hunters Hill. Thought I would run up Victoria Road, over Gladesville Bridge and then pick it up. About 4k from home I picked it up.

Because of time I thought I would make it to Lane Cove National Park and then head back.
Once on the track it is tough slow going and the surroundings are so peaceful as it wonders along the Lane Cove River.

I knew the walk runs through Buffalo Creek Park as used to take the kids there when they were young. Ran through it following the signs then hit the single bush track again. Kept wondering why the river when it appeared again was on my left and should have been on the right as I was heading north to Lane Cove.
Took that thought out of my head and just kept moving through the ruggered terrain - then came to a flat rock with water running over it which looked familiar. Nah I say - yes it was - I was back at Borina Park where suburbia ends and the real bush track. So some where at Buffalo Creek Reserve I managed to turn myself around and head back along the track (sounds like what happens on other parts of the GNW) - I think I had just run without knowing it.

Still a mystery as to what I did so I will enjoy my next run to see what happened and then try to make it to Lane Cove National Park.
Overall about 2.10 hours of running and about 19k travelled. Thoroughly enjoyed the change from pavement pounding and really so close to home that will have to work out how to incorporate it as a regular part of my training. The weather was overcast but dry when I started at 5.15 am but by the end it had started to rain which continued the rest of the day.

No comments: