Monday, July 29, 2013

Surprise Surprise M7 Marathon : 3.33.04

Were did that come from. No idea except perhaps that i decided in the first half k of the start that I would run one with a time that was at the upper end of what I could do rather than run well within my fitness level.
 
I started off behind the 3.45 pacer but then saw the 3.30 pace just 50 meters ahead and in a snap decision thought i would put myself behind that group and see how long I could hold. On purpose I never joined the group but stayed about 30 meters behind. By 15k I thought the pace was either a little quick or the pacer was running to have sometime in the bank. Either way I eased off and kept my pace in bewteen the 5.00 - 5.05 range. The 3.30 pace group were soon lost in the distance. I was fine with that as I was running the race how I wanted and how I felt most comfortable.
 
I reached 20k with my average pace at 5.02 per k and decided to try and maintain that for as long as I could. To my surprise the pace was being maintained through 25, 30, and 35. I fully expected after 35 k to have one of those moments when your brain without any warning decides that walking is a great option and you start walking before you have been given the chance to debate it with yourself.
 
Thankfully that did not occur and I maintained the pace to the end. I was fatigues but some how the pace was able to be maintained though off course the effort to do so was becoming greater and greater as the finish line approached.
 
Splits 1.46.17 and 1.46.47.
 
A usual week for training and then a marathon Saturday and Sunday. Aim: both under 4 hours. I will take the time in this one and not chase a time on the weekend. The weekend is all about survival.

3 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

Nice! It's great that you are running well again.

Ewen said...

Wow, great run Ray. Good decision, and smart to hang just off the pacers.

Prof said...

you're kidding ray...30 secs off the perfect splits. Unbelievable!

Congrats on your races of late..still plenty of good ones ahead. Dont forget to turnaround, look back and see how far you've run sometime huh??

Prof