Friday, July 05, 2013

Pre Gold Coast Marathon thoughts ...

No updates for a couple of weeks. This week has been fine with training each morning and each were good sessions. The week before was wet wet and wet in Sydney so there was little opportunity run and be dry or it was just a good excuse to not run.

Also we had a few family events and those always seem to set the usual routine out. Anyway this week was back to daily running in the morning.

A few weeks ago Macleay was 3.38 and the weather was cool for the whole run. The Gold Coast Marathon is flat similar to Macleay but the weather is likely to be warmer. My training was almost non existent for a week or so and it was not at the same intensity. Conclusion 3.38 is not possible and something in the 3.50 - 3.55 is likely. I can live with that.

Additional factor for a possible meltdown over the last 12k is that this is not a focus race. That is I have trained solidly this week and have added distance to my sessions including a hard 14k this morning. No taper and I have a focus on a couple of ultra's later in the year and I want to focus on them and run through the marathons despite knowing the last bit will be a struggle. When that factor is taken into account a 4.15 is possible but I will still be okay with that.

My plan at the moment is to start off at 3.45 pace and stay with it for a long as I can. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Have a good one Ray. Won't be there this year. I can see you sprinting ahead of the 3:45 bus and running another sub 3:40. 10 to 20C is pretty good for Sunday.