Monday, July 08, 2013

Gold Coast Marathon: 3.41.59

Perfect conditions for the marathon maybe just a little headwind at times in the second half but that was cooling.

Not my quickest marathon but one of the most satisfying,. Why:
  • Even splits;
  • Holding back to 25k when the effort needed was significantly increased just to maintain the pace;
  • I could not have run a better time with my present fitness and considering I do not train any longer than about 18/19k - no 30k long runs.
The preparation might have been slightly better with me trying to deal with some medical issues but that's another story. My race plan was that ate very best I might get 3.45 but in attempting that I would likely blow out by 10/15 minutes. But I was happy for the blow out to happen rather than aim for 3.55 and get it and wonder what might have been ....

So I stated off very steady but just ever so slightly quicker than an even paced 3.45 finished. But it felt comfortable but I was not sure for how long. Short report is I had splits of 1:50:56 and 1:51:03 for 3:41:59. Gotta be happy with that.

The 5k splits were all within the 25/26 minutes with no last 15k slow down.. 

After the race I went to the area for those who have run 10 plus GC marathons and had the pleasure of talking to Deek, Mona and Pat Carroll for 15 minutes or so. First class company as in regard to marathon times for Australians the order is Deek, Mona, Clayton and Pat. 

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Great result Ray. Thought you might have found the wind hard the last 6k. Excellent splits - strong run off such short long runs.