Tuesday, November 20, 2012

When is finishing 100k a failure?

When you plan to run 175k and finish at the beach at Patonga on Sunday afternoon.
 
It didn't take long for the uneven trails and the steep climbs and decent to cause each achilles to scream in pain. They are happy on flat surfaces ticking over 5.30k's but no amount of training or rest can prepare them for what is the characteristics of the GNW course. I thought it might be a minor issue later in the race and well after the 100k's. Unfortunately that was not the case.
 
In the second section which is a wide road/fire trail it was obvious I could not maintain a good enough pace to build up a good buffer in the cut off times. I was a head but not by enough and by the time I left CP2 and well into the third section I was running fine (legs and heart no issue) but I could not push the pace and whatever time buffer I had was evaporating too, much too quickly.
 
On the run into the CP3 there are some nice long, slightly down hills sections. I was alone and moving fine but then realised that was not correct when other runners would pass me and be quickly out of site. I wanted to pick up the pace to stay with them but it did not happen. The pain was not sharp but constant and it just seemed to slow the running stride down.
 
I got into CP with an hour to spare and could have withdrawn then. But I know I could probably make it to 100k although it would be ugly and slow. Apart from the steep climb out of CP3 it is relatively flat. Also I was not sure if I would be back to GNW again and so I did want a 100k finish.
 
At CP3 I gathered my thoughts. Ate and drank and generally took my time so that I could leave prepared. I also enjoyed a great time talking to to the vollies, most who know me and just having a chat to in part take my mind off the mental intensity of the event. I left 20 minutes before the cut off and got to CP4 12 minutes before the cut off at 3.48 am Sunday morning.
 
I had no idea how much damage I had done the achilles. However within a few days I it was back to normal. Which means I live with and walk with continual pain that surprisingly is much less when I run. No doubt the different foot strike pattern etc.
 
The last marathon of the year on Sunday. On a trail that has all the characteristics to again play havoc with the achilles. But I am in and will do it.
 
I am in C2K ultra in early December. It is mostly roads but a lot of uphill over the last 60k. Hopefully I can once again make it to the finish.





1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's a shame Ray. Hopefully you can turn things around for C2K.