Monday, November 09, 2009

Belated update

Have not Blogged for a while because really there was nothing to Blogg about.

Ran the Masters 5k in 20.29 and I suppose I was okay with that but just could not get under the 20 minutes. Maybe early next year just before the Canberra Marathon. Speaking of Marathons I will run the Hobart Marathon in early January that is combined with a family holiday touring Tasmania for the first time.

Also ran the Master half with a shocker on 1.44. Best forgotten for the time but still remembered as I strained both Achilles on the day and they have not got any better. More precisely it is an Achilles bursitis - that is a bruising of the bursa behind the tendon. It makes running painful and in particular the push off so I am still running rather flat footed in 'training' for the GNW's 100 miler.

That event could see me DNF at any time. Either the injury will get worse or more likely the pain will just increase to a level that causes me to think about pulling out. Yep unless I cannot physically take another step I will continue towards the finish line until the cutoff times pulls me off the course.

Rather foolishly I have also entered the C2K a 240 k run in early December. Rather majestically from the sea to the to[p of the highest mountain. I guess it will all depend on how I finish up after GNW.

Just a few days to go and the excitment is buidling and also the doubt about fitness.

5 comments:

Johnny Dark said...

Best of luck on the weekend Ray.
Hope the Achilles behave themselves.

JD

Samurai Running said...

Yes, all the best with these Eagle.

Ewen said...

I saw your times from the Masters Ray - thought the 5k was OK, but wondered about the half.

Hope the achilles are OK for GNW, and C2K - the uphills of that will certainly test them.

Brick said...

Ray you will be fine mate just take your time in both and you will finish.
Most importantly is to have fun and get your running buddy over the line of both.

See you at GNW.

glenda said...

be very careful with your achilles. I stuffed mine by going into Kokoda Challenge in July with bursitis ...the mountains really finished it off.hopefully you get some nice cold water to wade thru during it. Ice and drugs after.