Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rebuild : Day 2

Was any worse off as a result of yesterday's effort. No. In fact both physically and mentally it was positive. It however confirmed physically I have a long long way to go.

In the past my entries have usually been fairly clinical with regards to the actual training done such as distance time etc. However for a little while I might indulge myself with some personal thoughts type dribble however I am sure I will soon get over that.

For those who take the time to read my Blogg thanks. Your support and comments are always greatly appreciated and carefully considered. Not wanting to select one but I will say Anth what you have said about respecting the distance and only running when I am ready makes me think that the only decision is to not run and only do it when I am ready in all respects. If I run I will be running for all the wrong reasons and probably setting myself up for another DNF and likely before lunch on the Friday. Trying to get redemption for GNW by starting this is just not sensible.

I was out today and did a similar session. The heel drop exercise for the left leg is just so so painful but I believe I must happen that way before it starts to get better. I am not certain the pain in the left Achilles is not all Achilles related. When I do a straight leg stretch (you know put the heel on a knee high wall and lean over and stretch) then there is considerable pain left joint area. I suspect there is a problem there where I am making the whole left side lean to the right and so pulling the left side.

That would cause the muscles on the left side to pull short and the pain to be felt at the left ankle area. Also when I run the left heel on the shoe wears much faster than the other and scrapes instead of landing cleanly on the heel. I suspect a visit to my muscular/skeletal Dr will be necessary to sort that out not a physio to treat the referred pain.

The runs went okay 5 x 1k all around 6.30 and why did I get excited about the last one in 6.15. A k in 6.15 and I am excited !!!! I should get a life and get injury free and then my times will get back closer to 4 minutes a k.

2 comments:

glenda said...

You will get back there...I have confidence in you. We can sawp achilles stories.

Dan said...

Hey Ray, long time no speak. Sorry to hear and read about your injuries. I'm in a similar boat to you right now after GNW. However positive thinking is more than half the battle. You'll come back for sure. When and how is another question, but look after that body of yours. There's some very decent running in you still, and I for one want to see you coasting along the marathons and ultras again.