Tuesday, November 17, 2009

GNW Ultra

Lets get it straight from the opening a DNF!!!!

Went in with an Achilles problem and it was a problem from the first step and that put me in negative frame of mind from the start. Running the flats was manageable anything with a rise and fall was agony.

I started with Seris and Tallgeoff and was hoping to stay with them for a long time. That lasted for about 3 hours when as I got to the top of a hill they had stopped and were waiting for me. I then just said leave me, keep running and don't look back. Jane had tears in her eyes but I insisted it was best for all of us and they did as I said.

From then on I struggled mentally to get motivated although I wanted to. I got into the first CP at about the same time as last year and so was not worried. I thought I pushed as hard as last year in the next section but was an hour slower. I then knew the cut off times for the first time were going to be a concern.
I pushed the next section as the afternoon cooled but it was just so so negative. At some stage I decided I would not make the cut off and eased right off . Then after 90 minutes or so realised I had got my times and calculations wrong and could have made it but could not now because I had eased off too soon. Does that make sense?

It was then time to relax and enjoy the cruise through the quite, still and very warm night run through the forest into CP3 and 81k. It really is the first time in this event in 5 years that I have been able to do that so I just enjoyed those last 2 hours. I must admit at that time my thoughts were that this might well be my last ultra.
Who knows too old and too slow.

After some good running in July and August I have done little serious training, have put and weight and become very slow. An injury that is just so difficult to treat does not help.

I have some serious regrouping to do. Both physically and mentally.

C2K is very doubtful unless I am stupid and forget common sense. Being stupid and forgetting common sense I suspect are inbuilt characteristics of runners so c2K could also happen with a very early DNF. Commonsense says the Achilles will not get better attempting to run 240k

9 comments:

Samurai Running said...

I'd like to give you some advice Eagle but it's kind of hard to give advice to a 100 plus marathoner and ultra runner.

All I can say is anyone who has achieved even 10% of what you have deserves to retire a happy person.

Still it must be hard to give it up after all that you've been through with running.

What ever you do you'll remain an inspiration to me eagle.

All the best.

TokyoRacer said...

Eagle: Well, let another one of your fans in Japan weigh in. Since I am 62 I certainly don't think you are too old. You may be too slow now, but that is not because you are "slow", it is because of injuries. No, running 240k will not heal your achilles. Running anything will not heal your achilles. Take some time off (enough time off) to get healed and then start up again. The great Ed Whitlock was recently injured, took some time off, and is now running well again, and he is, how old now? I've lost track. Anyway, there's no reason we can't follow him, running into our 70s.
Don't despair...you'll be back.
Bob
PS: Thanks for your comments on my blog.

Rob said...

Ray, you love running, it has become such a part of your life and helped you through some tough times. I am sure the healing will come and that you will be setting yourself some new goals.

Wishing you the very best,
Rob

Brick said...

I am sure you do not want to hear this but I will say it anyway.
Give C2K a miss Ray it is hard enough when you are fit and healthy and I would say almost impossible injured.
Give it ago next year, come back faster and stronger and show us how it is done.

Good luck with what ever you decide and if that is to do C2K see you on the beach 11th December.

Ewen said...

You're not too old and too slow Ray! You'll be back.

Think carefully about C2K. If the achilles is still dodgy, could be an early retirement. Also, the course being "all uphill" won't help.

Jen said...

I know nothing about running. But it seems to me that it is essential part of you and who you are. Yes, C2K is a great race. But is it worth risking the ability to run long into your 70s, 80s & beyond?

If the answer (truthfully) is yes, then accept the risk (and the potential outcomes), and run it. If not, regroup physically & mentally & look forward to running the mara in Tasmania.

You continue to inspire me (regardless of which decision you make)

xx

Horrie said...

Ray,
as good a runner as you are, your strength is your ability to mentor, coach and support other runners.Dont let this be affected by your physical injury.Spiritual and mental life is much more important.Bluebel

Mick said...

Ray,

It's just temporary, look at your marathon times for the last year, many much younger would be very happy to achieve them.

You are an icon in the sport along with the likes of Milov, Spud, Whippet, BlueDog, etc and the sport would be less without you.

Those newer to the sport look to you for inspiration and advice. Before most ultra's we say and hear said "Eagles says it is the pace that will cause a DNF, not the distance".

Get well and see you on the trails.

Mick

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!