Wednesday, October 14, 2009

World Masters Games

I had not trained for these events at all. I did some speed work in Brisbane and it was having an affect but I needed another 2 weeks for me to feel I could run well.

On Sunday I lined up for the 10k Road Race and know that I would be well down the list of finishersif I could not get below 40 and I knew that was never going to be possible. So I decided that a very quick 5k would be a good session for the runs later in the week and then hold on. Although I did not want to run the first 5k that I could not run on well to the end. The 5k marker was short but by the Garmin I still made it in about 20.15 and I felt tired but not exhausted.

I held on for a 42.05 finish. That is much shape than I was in this time last year but after these events are over I do not need any speed with GNW 100 miler coming up.

Ran steady on Monday. Did not run on Tuesday. I ran on Wednesday and did a 3k TT to see if I have continued to improve in the last 2 weeks. Yes 12.12 but eased off a little as I have the 5k track on Thursday. I would love to go under 20 for a 60+ PB
.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

That's a pretty good 10k Ray, esp going out at very solid pace for the first half.

Just noticed your 5000m result - not too bad either. 17:12 for the winner is amazing. Good luck in the half if you're running.