Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Gold Coast Marathon : 3.25.27

The calculations and the training said I was fit enough for a 3.30 marathon. But as runners we all want to squeeze a bit more out of the body when every thing says it is not there. Even after 100 marathons that thought always arises although common sense says ignore it.

Well I did ignore it and I didn't. On Thursday I said on the GC thread that maybe 3.25 was the very best that I could expect. I thought that over and decided that would be my starting pace. I watch the pacing very carefully and for all of the first half I kept backing off as the pace would just keep creeping up quicker and quicker. However I managed to keep churning out 5k splits around 24.15 and went through halfway in 1.42.15 or so. That was right on pace.

It felt okay then but I knew that the real test would come as we passed the 30/31k mark. It did get more difficult to maintain a steady pace but I pushed harder and harder and was motivated by being able to pass runners most who seemed as if they were running through a thick bog.

I was continuing to maintain the 5k splits around 24.30 from halfway. I was tiring but was able to respond with an increased effort to maintain the pace. I got to 40k in exactly 3.15 and know if I pushed to the end I would have the best time I could have expected.

The second half was a 1.43 split so I was very pleased with the almost even pacing.

A great 4 days away with my family and very pleased with the time but as I have said very disappointed that a long held goal was not achieved by a long way. I am thinking that if I peak well for the Masters games in October if I could find a Marathon soon after I might be able to run my best time for the year ....

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome work Ray, sometimes we surprise ourselves. I hope to do the same at HV... well done again.

Samurai Running said...

Well done Eagle.

Yes don't give up those running goals yet.

Looking forward to reading how things go with you.

Superflake said...

Good Ray. Still another Marathon under 3:30 is very consistent.

Ewen said...

You did well Ray - optimal pacing all things considered - looks like you got the best out of yourself on the day.

Sorry I missed you at the drinks afterwards.

Not sure about marathons later than October - you might have to look at overseas ones. CIM is supposed to be a good one on December 6.

Johnny Dark said...

Coming back strong Ray.

TokyoRacer said...

Nice run, Eagle, but I'm sure your next one will be much faster.
If you consider a California marathon, I recommend Santa Barbara rather than CIM. Same day, Dec. 6. Sacramento as a city has nothing interesting, but SB is a beautiful town right on the coast, and only an hour above LA. It's the first SB marathon, so it should be fun. I will be running it.

glenda said...

Great run Ray.

Robert Song said...

Well done on such a well controlled and even paced run. Hope the mojo is back again and you can go for those goals.