Sunday, June 10, 2007

McLeay River Marathon : 3.03.53

I have no idea where that one come from.

That is my 6th fastest marathon from 79. With 4th, 5th & 6th being 3.03.51, 3.03.52 and now a 3.03.53 - 3 seconds faster and it would have been my 4th fastest.

I had a couple of big training weeks before this event including a 65k day about 10 days ago - not an ideal taper. Then this week I have felt very ordinary and have had some issues with the left knee area. It all meant I was not focused at all on the marathon and in fact it was not until mid morning on Saturday that I decided to go. Because of the knee issues I thought this would be a very slow run and I had visions of then knee being a real isse and my first marathon DNF - this was the reason I was considering no going - not the DNF but the damage I could cause to the injury.

Anyway started with some knee pain but ran how I felt and passed 5k in 21.38 and thought it was way too fast to maintain, just held a steady pace and went through then next 5k 21.29 and thought with all the problems that I would soon begin to fade. The next 3 lots of 5k splits were all within 10 seconds of 21.40 and on each time I thought about increasing the pace but thought against it. At 25k I was a few minutes behind 3 hour pace and I knew I had to either go or not go - I felt I could have gone but with the lead up I chose to protect the time I had and thought if I held on I might get under 3.10 again.

I pushed on but not as hard as I felt as I was still in no mans land the sub 3 was so close but I wanted to protect my time AND I was running out of distance. After 30k I pushed harder but not flat out - always in two camps - the long rise to the finish starts at about 32k and I made time up in this last stretch but I had left the final push too late.

I would have to say that it was one of those days where you just never get fatigued and the k's jus kept flying by. Unfortunately I was so concerned about managing the race options I think the run was over before I realised it was almost the perfect day - it should have been with splits of 91.28/92.25 or threrabouts.

The knee was an issue but it didn't restrict the running - I suppose that is obvious from the time.

I have done no speed work since Canberra. Just lots of distance and at speeds in the 5.00/4.30 range - so it's suprising to run a marathon at 4.21 pace. I have been reading all of the Lydiard books again and may put down my thoughts about them soon. Also I have been reasonably strict in following the eating strategy in the book Slow Burn - very much a CSIRO eating theory.

And losing 3k since the Canberra marathon may have helped?

12 comments:

Craig said...

great inspiration from your blog mate

hope i can get into it like you

craig

Rob said...

Congratulations on another excellent run Eagle. You are just amazing. The way you can so consistently run such incredible times is awe inspiring.

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the race Ray. Sensational effort. And you are correct, if you pushed at 25k could the time have blown out at 35k and you came back with 3:15? Always a mystery the marathon.

Horrie said...

Congratulations on an outstanding run Ray. You are running very well. I am amazed how once you find your range, you can lock into that pace and run forever. Obviously the benefit of years of experience and the consistency you put into your training. Well done champ!

Anonymous said...

a very inspiring run, your years of experience really payed off, you seem to know when to go or not too
really enjoy reading your blog.
lots to learn.

Tesso said...

Huuuge congrats Ray! What an absolutely fantastic result.

I'm another one who is sitting up and taking notice of your training. Its certainly food for thought.

Looking forward to catching up soon.

Unknown said...

Well done Ray, that long and strong training seems to be working for you.

Another sub-3hr result is obviously well within your reach once more.

JD

Robert Song said...

Great Run. 3kg will certainly make some difference. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Lydiard.

After so many marathons and you still have trouble predicting how you are going to go. What hope have we mere novices got?

Hamburglar said...

congrats ray

mcmillans calculator doesn't seem to work for you.

Turning a 90 min half into a 3:03 is just fantastic

Well done - can't wait for the sub 3.

Jen said...

Wow! You are simply amazing. I hope I'm there to cheer you on when you go sub-3 :-)

Samurai Running said...

Hey Eagle

That's a great time you are a legend in my book. I'm certainly interested to hear more of your refrlections on why you think you did so well with this kind of build up.

I'm particularly interested in what part you thinK your diet played in this and please tell me more about the 65km day how did you do that? Was it all in one go? How fast etc.

Great to follow your progress.

Congratulations.

Ewen said...

That's a great result Ray - especially as it was unexpected.

Perhaps in hindsight, not totally unexpected... the base of long easy miles, the stimulus of the 65k day, 3kg lighter.

Like others, I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I think this shows you're still capable of sub-3. With a taper ;)