Sunday, June 12, 2005

McLeay River Marathon : 3:35:24

It was an adventure and quite different to any other that I have run. Started off very slow and my brother moved well in front - so much for me pacing him!. By 4k thought I would DNF at any step with the pain and limping. For some reason it eased and I ran relatively freely up to 27k - caught my brother at about 13k and we stayed together until 27k - the pain came back and I slowed and he moved off quickly into the distance.

I went through a very deep black hole between 27 - 32 where I thought I would need to walk the rest of the marathon to finish. But again things came good and I got back onto 5 miniute k pace - caught my brother again at 38k and he was struggling. Stayed with him for about a k and then he urged me to finish my race and he would finish his. He finished in 3:40.

I am amazed that on a copuple of time sin the race the pain was high and I was down to a hobble and then soon after it has reduced enough that I could run relatively freel.

Also enjoyed at about the 19k mark a walk for about 5 mintes with Mountain Man.

At least I finished without what appears to be very little further damage to the calf injury.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ray, sorry to read that you've got the same injury or is it another one? Seems like you went through quite a bit of pain during that marathon; I'm wondering now how you'll be for the GC? Hopefully recovered & rested sufficiently; take it easy in the meantime.