Sunday, April 10, 2005

Canberra Marathon : 3.23.52

Quite shattered at the result.:

PREPARATION from December to the race perfect - with the usual ebb and flow and good days and not so good. Best confidence builder the 30k at SMC three wekks before the marathon where I finished the last 15k strongly.

TAPER etc all went well except over the last week or 2 developed a slight strain in the right thigh and groin.

EXPECTATION was that I would run faster than last years 3.04 - because the preparation was longer and far superior to last year.

THE RACE ran my own race - that meant running almost the whole race alone but that is what I wanted . Had always planned to run even splits or even a little slower in the first half and expected I had the strength to come home slightly faster the second half. Ran through the half in 90.30 and was not concerned at all in fact I was pleased I had held back. Ran through 25 in 1.47 and was still happy as I knew all I had to do was to finish in 4:15 pace which because I had held back I was hopeful of doing. I was right on my race plan.

However just after that the lower part of the right calf felt like it was tightening - but things like that happen and they run themselves out after a k or so. It didn't happen and by 29k I was very concerned as it was very tight and restricting my stride length - probably a cramp and not muscle strain. I had to stop and stretch it out and then walked through the 30k drink station to relax the muscle which it did to a degree.

Began running again after 30 km but could not stretch out to a full stride - turned off my watch and did not look at it again - time was not relevant and the sub 3 was gone. Just ran steady from then on but at a greatly reduced pace. It got no better but then it got no worse either.

The time was my worst ever at 6 Canberra's and worst time (except for last year injured Sydney and some trail marathons) since marathon number 13 and this was marathon 64. I think that says it all in regard to my feelings at the moment and disapointment that all the ingredients were there for a good run but it was not to be.

2 comments:

Horrie said...

Good to see you back blogging Ray. Yeah, you didn't run the marathon you wanted to in Canberra but I would think that you haven't had that many bad ones in the 64 you have run. I'm sure there will be plenty of good ones in the future as well. Good luck in Brisbane if you decide to run.

trailblazer777 said...

hard luck Ray, sometimes things happen, despite the best preparation, all the best with the charge towards 100 and wishes for sub 3's in the next one.