Sunday, April 24, 2005

Brisbane Marathon

Up at 4.45 for a 6.00pm start. Weather pleasant but maybe a bit warm and with some humidity. Was aiming to run 25 minute 5 ks for a long as possible. Started off without any pain or discomfort - thought I could go faster and found it difficult to stay at the 5 minute ks but I knew to survive the race and finish without doing any major damage I needed to stick to the race plan.

Ran through 30k in 2.29 - one minute in front of the schedule. Then I got incredibly tired and I think it was from going slower than usual and then I just got slower - then averaged about 5.50 per k to the end to finish in 3.41. I got slower but I seemed to do it without really making a decision to do it - I think maybe I did it so that I would not further injure myself at the time when that is possible. Maybe because I needed to give blood a week before may have something to do with getting a bit tired at the end!!

Tess was atthe drink station at about 31 k so stopped and talked to her - then the course goes throught the Botanical Gardens and then along the River on Southbank side - I enjoyed the rather relaxed pace in the last section and the pleasant scenery. Could I have gone much faster in all of the circuamstances??? no! no! no!

The most pleasing thing about the run - apart from considering getting rid of my watch and getting a calender to time my runs they are getting that slow - was that the injury felt like it got better as a result of the run certainly not worse. So maybe the long slow run was what was needed. Who knows the body at time is such a strange thing and it does the oddest things at times.

Anyway I'll take it the finish (no DNF's in 65 starts). I have no real after affects - in fact I feel better than this time after Canberra .However the sooner I forget the time the better.

No comments: