Monday, August 03, 2015

Centennial Park Marathon # 205: 5.50

Decided not to travel to Brisbane and run a double. At the time when I made the decision I was not sure whether it was the right one. It was. 

What a glorious late winters day in Sydney. The temperature was as high as about 25 degrees at about 2 pm. I finished just before then and did not find the temperature an issue.

It was 11 laps of the park with a 100k, 50k and 12 hour events being run at the same time. A very small number of hard heads (take that at about 5/6 opted for the marathon). Thank you to the organiser who allowed us to run even though it was not scheduled as an event.

The plan was to run about 5 hours but after a couple of laps I felt very fatigued and know it was going to be a long hard day. I then changed plan to a 6 hour finish and alternating running with walking and then trying to finish off strong. Also in the last two marathons as I have become fatigued I have commenced to lean rather noticeably and I thought moving forward for 6 hours might start to work on that issue.

So it was for 8 laps walk half and run the other half. That took about 34/35 minutes. I was lapped many times but when you are slow on a circular track what do you expect. With 2 laps to go I had just under 70 minutes to be under 6 hours. Started running - ran the last two laps both just under 30 minutes and no lean.

Another finished and hopefully some more endurance in the legs and body.

Probably in Melbourne next weekend for the Tan Marathon. I think another marathon of about 10 laps of the iconic running venue in Melbourne. I have to think seriously about the recovery running this week.

1 comment:

Johnny Dark said...

Hi Ray, good to see you battling your way through yet another marathon at Centennial Park last weekend. Hope to catch up with you again soon. Cheers, JD