Friday, February 21, 2014

Orange marathon: more thoughts

This afternoon is the second week of radiotherapy. The only side effect I seem to have is that after I am tired and if I can get a short lay down and despite my usual length of sleep I am finding it more difficult to get up in the morning for my run. But I am not sure that is from the treatment or just from the cumulative effect of some intense training that has me at 100k + a week for the last 6 weeks.

That has happened no matter if it was the week before or after a marathon - still out there with that weekly total.

This week will still be100+ but a couple of runs have been slow and more for pleasure that training. However it have run this week a 6 month or so PB for my usual 13k loop, a lap of the bay of just under 7k @ 4.30 pace and then 5k this morning @ 4.19 pace - both the quickest I have been for about      6 months again. Now if that could just translate into some stamina for a good marathon on Sunday.

I believe in the circumstances I could not over the last 6/8 weeks could have trained longer or quicker. So I am where I am at and just hope it is good enough to get me under a 3.40 finish. I am sure as the treatment continues that I will not be able to maintain the training and my times will slow until the side affects recede during May/June. Maybe I will have minimal side affects. Take it as it comes.

Whatever the result on Sunday sitting here thinking about the start of my 173rd marathon and I still get butterflies thinking about the challenge ahead and excited about running and at the moment being thankful that I able to run.

1 comment:

autismmum said...

I hope your marathon went well today. You are so inspirational. Best of luck with the radiotherapy.