Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2011

Yes I have been very quiet for a long time. Lets not go into the DNF at 148k at C2K. I need to move on.

I have already run a marathon for 2011 at Hobart last weekend. On really no training I was expecting something of a struggle and over 4 hours. I therefore went out very easy with the hope of getting under 4 hours with even splits. I was through halfway in about 1.56 and knew that was about as close to plan as possible. It was then a matter of pushing hard but always with the thought of making it to the finish line without bleeding time over the last bit. The second half was about 1.57 for a 3.53 finish. I was happy with that as a good result for my fitness at the moment.

I was back in Sydney late on Monday. I thought I would test the legs on Tuesday morning as I thought I had recovered well. A easy lap of the Bay in about 5.30 pace and it felt all too easy. I was out again today and averaged about 5.20 and felt good.

I have been doing some thinking about what has gone wrong in the last part of the year. That is I run well during the busy time between July/September and including the Melbourne Marathon in early October and then cannot hold the base for the end of year ultra's. I have decided maybe it is core strength that needs to have a base consistently during the year so that I can end the year using the base that has been built up and not becoming injured and fatigued.

So some research and reading to set up a program of exercises and weights to get some strength. I did that at the start of last year and ran my quickest marathon at Canberra. I then stopped that and my times drifted off.

Anyway I am off to Hong Kong later today and will start serious and structured training when I get back. .... and post daily.

Hobart was marathon #122. Goal for the year is to run at least 15 marathons plus a couple of selected ultra's. Other goal wold be to get my 5k time down close to 21 minutes.

3 comments:

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done in Tassy.
Those are pretty cool goals for the year.
Good luck.

Ewen said...

I'll be interested to see now you go with the core and strength work Ray. Hope to see you in Canberra.

TokyoRacer said...

Good to see you back, Ray. Hope you put up some good times this year.