Monday, September 15, 2008

GLASSHOUSE 100 MILES

All of my plans involved two aims. First NOT TO GET LOST OUT AT 10 (as I did last year) and second to finish under the cut off. I guess under 24 hours had crossed my mind but I was never going to sacrifice a finish in an attempt at a time that I probably could not achieve because of lack of fitness. With that in mind I had no specific race plan but knew that if I maintained a steady pace that finishing just under the cut off should not be a problem.

So during the day I just ran to feel and kept steady and moving forward as best as the terrain would allow. At CP6 on the way back - did some calculations for the first time and under 24 was out unless I began to push harder. That was a risk and so I decided to revert to original plan and so I relaxed and decided enjoy and experience the run and the event itself.

At the 110k checkpoint I took some time to clean the feet, deal with a blister and change into fresh clothes. I left at 1.00am and was confident that unless I got lost or other issues arose then I would get back in 11 hours or so. I intended to walk a lot as some training for GNW. I had no issues on the eastern loop and kept it steady and was in control all the time. Finished in 29.33.

I ran almost the whole race alone and while I enjoy the company of others it was pleasant to just wonder along at my own pace with my own thoughts. The 30 hours just went so so fast.

I know I need to do a lot of work in the next two months to be fitter than I am now for GNW.

9 comments:

Blair said...

Well done Ray. It was so great to see you finish.

Rob said...

What an incredible feat Ray. To run 100 miles is such an awesome achievement. All the best as you continue in your prepartaion for the GNW.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Ray. If i need tips on how to make a 30hr effort sound so casual i know who to contact.
Pat.

Anonymous said...

A great achievement Ray.

Superflake said...

Well done Ray. 30hrs alone that is incredible.

Jen said...

Congratulations Ray - run for almost 30 hours in an amazing feat. Hope the recovery goes well.

Anth said...

Well done Ray! A superb effort and it sounds like you executed your race plan to perfection. Glad to hear that you pulled up okay afterwards and that you're looking forwards to GNW.

Dan said...

Ray, it was again a pleasure to see you out on the course at 70kms up at CP7. Such a great weekend, and well done for not getting lost! We had heard rumours back at the finish line early on Sunday morning that you'd taken a wander again! All the best, and possibly see you up at GNW!

Bellthorpe said...

Great to meet you Ray, and it was inspiring to watch you cross the line.

Well done! And many more ...