Sunday, August 31, 2008

Mudgee Marathon 3.33.59

Yes it was run 24 August!!

I have been very lazy

I felt good at start and Anth I quicly settled into 4.50ks. The rough aim was to run a 3.30 and with the big climg before halfway we wanted to put a bit in the bank but not too much. Also the second half has a lot of long downhill stretches and we thought we could pick up some time here. We managed to keep the 4.50's going until the hill.We gave all of our time in the Bank to the hill as we suspected.

We got to halfway in 1.44 that put us right on 3.30 pace. With the lack of and sustained or serius for some months I was doubting for how long I could hold the pace.

After halfway we settled into a good pace and managed to maintain a just below a 4.55 pace until 32k. Anth then just started moving a head and I began to fade however I reached 35k still just ahead of 5 minute pace up to that point.

I needed a 35 minute last 7 ks to finish in 3.30 but drifted to 39 minutes to a 3.33.55 or so finish. Anth got quicker in the last 7 k and was home as he said in 3.26.59.

So managed a 1.44/1.49 split. A 4.8% slow down that was expected because of the early pace being a bit quicker than it should have been with the lack of training to suport it.

It was enjoyable (well at least until 35k) and then was just a slog to get home without walking. I was suprised to be able to maintain the pace for the 35k and absolutely enjoyed the run with Anth. He gets wiser and stronger with each run and will for a while on the right course with the right conditions continue to break his PB until .... well I think he has a lot of potential to tap into yet so it will be interesting to watch his progress. Or maybe I need to get some serious training done and run some 3.10's with him. If only ..... cool.gif

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Still a pretty good 'training' marathon Ray, considering your less than optimal training of late.

It's amazing what a difference to the finishing time the last 7k of a marathon can make.

trailblazer777 said...

Great run! sounds like the "time in the bank" worked well.