Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Update

Friday 19 September
An easy 10k but much faster than the day before but only 5.20 pace.


Saturday 20 September
No run


Sunday 21 September: SYDNEY MARATHON : 3.56.28
I felt very relaxed and with a race plan of just under 4 hours I was not sure if it could be done but wasn't really concerned if it didn't happen. I was also feeling very fresh considering the 100 miles in my legs from last weekend.

It was mild at the start other years there has been a chill in the breeze off the harbour. Being mild so early meant it was going to get very warm in the back end. I had agreed to run with Jane aka Seris who knocks out 3.55 marathons like we breathe - with no effort. I did however keep the first half solid in 1.53 and we both needed to check the watch and were continually needing to back off. It was just perfect weather conditions and being fresh it was difficult to keep a lid on the pace.

Soon after halfway the heat began to be felt and was becoming a significant factor. We keep the effort up but the time was just drifting away. It was now not a matter of needing to slow the pace but needing to push much harder to just maintain it. We survived the West City Link and got back in about 2.03.
I have pulled up very well. It was an effort but more in maintaining a steady pace and not a case of pushing to the limit.

Monday 22 September : No run

Tuesday 23 September : No run

Wednesday 24 September : 2 x Bay
A perfect still morning around the Bay. I have no idea why I decided to do 2 laps as hard as I could but trying to maintain an even pace. I think it arose because JD told me on Sunday that he and the Professor have been doing double laps in 33 odd. I was invited down to run with them but said I could not do that pace however I was tempted.

Ran without looking at the watch : first lap 33.40 - impossible he says it did not feel that difficult. Off on the second just knowing it would not be anything like the first - no peeks at the watch on the way around : second lap 33.43. Slow jog home shaking my head. I should be sore and slow today.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Great work Ray, and a nice recovery as well this morning. One day I'm sure I'll see you around the Bay rather than the trails of Queensland!

Anonymous said...

Nice bounce back Ray.

Superflake said...

Good to see you and Seris on Sunday Ray. You looked to be doing it easy, of course it was only the 1st half.