Thursday, June 12, 2008

Thoughts about Gold Coast preparation

I don't often put down my thoughts about what I plan to do as regards training but I thought if I did this it would commit me to do the hard work planned.

long steady state runs at 4.30 pace and 150k weeks are manageable and present a pleasant challenge that can be achieved most days and most weeks. The k's in the last few weeks have been lowish because of the TNF100 and then the marathon BUT a lot of k's have been done in the months before that will stay with me for a while provided I maintain the base.

The reality was the marathon distance on Sunday was no issue and the pace was easily maintainable - so that aspect is not of a concern. So with just over 3 weeks to the Gold Coast marathon I could just do the same training but I suspect that will just get me better at running another 3.06.

So the important question is - How in that time can I get faster?? I believe I need to move onto another phase of training. Lydiard had hills and then speed work and the I think sharpening. Yeah I know his spent more time on each stage BUT he was targetting just one race for his runner.

Speed sessions is that the right word? Probably not because I associate that with intervals fast and - maybe 1k reps. I don't need the speed that would be generated by those sessions and I also don't want to increase the risk of injury.

I would prefer to call what I will do for the next 2 weeks or so stamina sessions. I aim at 4.15 pace for the marathon and use that as my base time. So I will do almost only the following sessions (as I want to keep some distance up and some steady running I may run a Bay lap at 4.15 pace before or after the tempo and repeat session:

1.Steady:30 - 60 minutes between 4.00 - 4.10 (2 laps of the Bay under 60)

2.Tempo:15 - 30 minutes between 3.50 - 4.00 (2 x 4k in 15.20)

3.Repeats:10 - 15 minutes between 3.45 - 3.50 ( 2 x 3k in 11.15)

I will be away until Monday so things will start then.

What do I hope all of this running at a pace that is very uncomfortable hope to achive. Well and endurance base no at all. If it can be achieved in a short time increase lactate threshold and engage what fast twitch muscles have been under engaged in the endurance stage. If Lydiard is right I should have an increase of speed in a short time and it will go almost to me maximum speed becuase of the strong base I have built up.

My test will be the 5k challenge on 28 June and being warmed up and with a steady pace all the way I should get under last months 18.40 and may give my PB of 18.14 a scare.

1 comment:

Samurai Running said...

Glad you put down your thoughts Eagle. That really is Gold to know such things. I will be indebted to the likes of you, Ewen, Robert Song and Steve Lacey for years to come as you guys really know your stuff and "run the walk" so to speak.

All the best with it!!