Sunday, April 22, 2007

Brisbane Marathon : 3.31.30

The week between the Canberra marathon and Brisbane was all about recovery.


After Canberra I ran 5k on the Monday night with my 15 year old daughter who is training for a cross country race in mid May. I then ran an east Bay on Thursday and another easy Bay on Friday morning with Aunty K. In the afternoon it was a 3k run with my daughter and some hill repeats.


I had really done very little in regard to carbo load etc. I was not sure how I would run it as the morning approached. I had no soreness or injury but I knew that deep down I was fatigued.


When I left home I said to my wife 3.45 would be a probable time but deep down I thought if all went well I maybe able to get a better time than that. I started with having bets both ways - that is a pace to keep 3.30 in sight but always with the option to back off if that looked liked putting me in 'a blow up' position.

Started running about 24 minutes for each 5k but thought that would be difficult with the high humidity at the start and the expected high temperature as the race progressed.
Passed the half in 1.40 which was on target for 3.30. I remained on target until the between 30 - 35 where the course is in the open sun and very very hot. I slowed then.

You get to the 30k drink station and just about on the other side is the 35k station. You then have to run to the turn around and back along a very hot unshaded part of the course. I walked through 30k station and drank a lot, then felt that the next 5k was the most difficult of the race. Walked back through the station at 35 to take on the lost fluid.


Just after 35k the course goes back into pleasant cool shade. I then ran steady to the end to just miss 3.30 but it was still a result better than I expected in all of the circumstances - post Canberra and the weather.

6 comments:

Aunty said...

Nice result Ray, congrats again from me.

Is it time for a little rest yet?

AK

Rob said...

It was good to see you again Eagle. I didn't envy anybody running in yesterday's conditions. I reckon I had one of the best vantage points.

Well done Eagle. I am amazed that you can run one marathon after anohter like that.

Horrie said...

Well done on backing up Ray. 3:31 in those conditions a week after last week's big effort in Canberra is a great result. Now you can rest up until SMH Half.

lavinia_g said...

Running a marathon a week after having already run one? - is that a good idea? What good can that possibly do your body?

silverfox said...

Ray

stellar effort backing up. I am not sure where Lavinia comes from but I think she is in for a bit of a shock if she is worried about you running 2 marathons in 2 weekends & keeps following your blog mate!

I would like to catch up with you hopefully next week to have a chat, will pm you then. Great effort again.

Unknown said...

That's fantastic, Ray, especially having just run the Canberra marathon!

Now, save something for SMH Half & me!