Monday, April 16, 2007

Canberra Marathon : 3.09.24

It does feel rather nice to put up a time of 3.0x - it has been almost 3 years since a time like that has been in the reults page against my name. This was marathon #77 and the last time I ran a 3.0x was 20 marathons ago.


This is what I said a few days before on CR :

My pacing will very much depend on how I feel in the first 5k. I expect to do that in 21.30 to 22 and if that is a struggle I will ease off but if 21.30 is just on the border line comfortable then that's where I will stay for as long as I can. My gut feeling at the moment is that I am not in a position to be near 3 hours at the end but it will be a challenge to see how close I can go.
This is my CR race post :


I started this marathon with a medical issue which I thought would be a major issue early. As it tuned out it was not as great an issue as it could have been. Because of that issue my plan was to just see how the race developed but having thought some months ago about 3 hours was possible I decided to start at the pace and see how it held.


I was suprised to run through 20k just 30 seconds over 3 hour pace. I then passed a girl who is someone I have run a lot of marathons with although as I was approaching her I did not recognise her. We chated and the half was a minute over pace. I moved passed her and regained my pace and got through 25k still a minute over 3 hour pace but could feel some problems developing.


I made a decision that instead of pushing and then maybe bowing up badly I would just ease off and not continue to chase 3 hours. I got through 30k in 2.11 and thought if I managed my pace wisely I could salvage something below 3.10. Eased back to 24 minutes for each of the next two 5k blocks and got home in 3.09.24.


Not what I expected a couple of months ago but was pleased what I salvaged out of the race on the day.


To put it into perspective : it the first time under 3.10 since Kempsey in June 2004. Also it is the (for what it is worth 17th fasted marathon I have run - so with that perspective in mind and the medical issue that clouded the race plan I suppose Canberra 2007 should be considered as a pleasing result.


I may give the McLeay River Marathon another go at under 3 and then Gold Coast. If I don't go close in either of those I expect I will remove that expectation from future race plans and set another realistic and achievable goal. Maybe just to stay under 3.15 for a along as possible into the future might be worth considering.

9 comments:

Samurai Running said...

"Pleasing result" indeed! I reckon even if the "medical condition" didn't have so much of an effect on the day, had you not had that on your mind you would have had the confidence to push it more at the end to get that sub 3hrs.

Nevertheless, an outstanding effort. Congratulations Eagle.

silverfox said...

Great run Ray, in particular given your setback in the last week. Will probably catch you at SW Rocks, I am gearing up to have a fair crack at this so I hope our respective targets allign as it would be great to get out and do a few runs together. Catch you soon.

Jen said...

Congratulations Ray on a fantastic result, particularly given the circumstances.

You were flying both times I saw you - I didn't have much time to say "Go HRH Sir James" before you were out of sight once more :-)

Tesso said...

Congrats Ray.

As always you looked great out there. To me you are one of the strongest looking runners I know, you never seem to lose form even at the pointy end of the race, and never look like tiring. I half expected you to keen on running and do the 50k.

Can't wait to catch up again next weekend. Happy recovery/taper :)

Unknown said...

A good solid effort Ray and one to be justly proud of.

JD

Ewen said...

Well done Ray! 3:0x is a time most marathoners only dream of.

Don't settle for sub 3:15s just yet. Some of your training sessions suggest 2:5x is still there. You just need the right race and day.

Horrie said...

Congrats on the 3:09 Eagle. Fantastic effort given the problems you had leading into the race. Hope you find Brisbane as enjoyable.

26miles said...

I'm with Ewen,
I think you've got a sub 3 still left in you - just needs 10-12 weeks with no interruptions and the right race !
A great effort in Canberra anyway - well done mate.

PortRunr said...

Congratulations on a great run and your first sub 3:10 for 3 years. Sounds like you'll improve further over the next few months. See you up at South West Rocks in June.