Monday, April 02, 2007

Weeks taper - 2 weeks to Canberra

As I did last week I will set out my proposed program for the week and make comments below each as the week progresses. Distance being decreased but intensity still up.

Monday 2 April :
No Run
Yep no run

Tuesday 3 April :
Tempo 3 x 3k @ 11.30

There was no zip this morning and the legs felt heavy but that can happen in the taper as the body starts to recover from the past training. The feeling was reflected in 11.40 and 11.42. Decided that as the time was heading in the wrong direction that another 3 was not needed so opted for 4k at MP being 4.15 kpm just to get a feel for the race day pace. It felt reasonably comfortable compared to the last 2 runs. I was aiming for 17 minutes for the 4k and slipped through in 16.55 but as I have said in the past to do that for 42 of the buggers at that pace seems like and impossible ask at the moment.

Wednesday 4 April :
KL @ 75 minutes

I had to take my daughter to her school cross country training which started very early so I didn't have time to do the KL run. Opted for a Bay run which I haven't done for a while. Ran 29.23 @ 4.11 pace which was fine. Expect to run tomorrow morning for a recovery and as today was short I will add a few 800's in for some fun.

Thursday 5 April :
No run or recovery around the Bay
Each day this week has required a change in the session because of the little twists in life that are present themselves. I did a short recover run but not around the Bay but out past the pool for about 3k and did some stretching and getting my mind focused on what must be done in the marathon. Then back and at the park some 800's : 2.51, 2.54, 2.54, 2.52 they had to be done hard to get those times. I think I last did them in December and was not able to get inder 3 minutes.

Friday 6 April :
Bay Run @ 4.15 pace + 4 x 800 @ 2.50
Some personal issues so just an easy 8k not timed

Saturday 7 April :
No run
Yep no run

Sunday 8 April :
KL @ 70 minutes
No KL but after a 4k warm up did a 10k TT. This was a very significant TT as it would tell me whether what I have suspected for a week or so was correct. I was hoping by having a good result in the TT that what I suspected was wrong.

The TT was a disaster but very much as I suspected.

Rewind a about 5 weeks ago. I was prescribed some medication for an non running issue. There were possible side effects but the medication was needed and really could not be delayed. The side effects have really kicked in with the result being a increase in the thickness of the blood and so the heart instead of pumping blood the consistency of water it is more like honey. So the heart is pumping as hard as before but less blood is circulating, less oxygen getting to the muscles and much less energy and a slow speed.

The medication has been stopped but it is not likely to result in any significant change in the blood. So a very much revised finishing time is now needed as that is the only common sense decision. It would be foolish and in fact impossible to do anything else in the situation I have.

Oh well maybe the Gold Coast will be the perfect race this year.



14 comments:

Clairie said...

Looks like a well thought out week.

Will be good to see you and the family again in Canberra.

Only 13 more sleeps now until the night before :)

Samurai Running said...

Looks like a great taper Eagle.

Tell me what kind of recovery are you having between your Tuesday efforts of 3x 3K @ 11:30 per 3 K?

Thanks

Rob said...

Yep! only two weeks Eagle and the usual suspects will be back to bring the Nation's Capital to a stand still as the locals watch in awe as we dash to the finish line.

Tesso said...

This week our taper pgms start off identical ie with a rest day today :-)

Once again, thanks for letting us in on some of your secrets.

PortRunr said...

Good to meet you briefly at the IM on Sunday (behind the finish when you were talking with Jen).
Your Tuesday note about lack of zip during the taper is reassuring as I felt a bit that way this morning as well.

Superflake said...

Looking good Ray. Hope your 4k MP run feels easier on friday. I'll be interested to hear how you feel after, if the body is stressing about running it.

Tesso said...

Nice times for those 800s Ray. Must be a good feeling to be so much faster than December.

Spud said...

Ray your preparation for these events or any event for that matter is meticulous. I hope you have a cracking Canberra and smash that 3 hr barrier once more.
All the best!

Horrie said...

Sorry to hear this news Ray. Especially when the training was going so well. Now you can enjoy things a little better whilst having a cruisy run. See you next week.

Samurai Running said...

I was shocked to read about the problem that's going to force you to change your goal time.

It's just like life/running to throw these things up at us. You have my respect for the sanguine way you are taking this.

Your a strong guy and no doubt you can transfer this sub 3 attempt to the gold coast.

silverfox said...

Ray

It is times like this that remind us that running is just another part of life for good or bad.

I can speak with some authority when I say that the influence you have had and the advice you have provided to so many people reflects on the esteem in which you are held in this community.

I have said it to you many times but you have absolutely nothing to prove, you have have done it countless times and not just in your running.

I am very glad to see that commonsense has had the final say in your decision. Enjoy your run next week, wish I was joining you.

Your mate always
Nick

Tesso said...

Oh no :-(

Ray, as you can see the rest of us are devastated for you, I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

What Silverfox said about your influence on our community is so true and I'm sure many others will learn something your attitude towards this. I know I already have.

Take care. See you next weekend.

Superflake said...

Ray I'm shocked that the bus driver will be missing from the 3hr bus. I was looking forward to running with you next week. Hope you can get through the race ok at a good pace that you want. Maybe young JD needs a push for his 3:20?

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about this turn of events Ray, particularly considering how determined you've been in targeting Canberra this year.
I suspected something may have been amiss when I passed you yesterday morning.

Knowing how much marathoning is such a deep part of you psyche, I'm certain, regardless of your finishing time, Canberra '07 will be a worthwhile experience for you.


JD