Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tuesday update

What happended to the week.
 
Went out last Wednesday for a 'hot lap' (we live and dream). It was a pleasure to have Russell out with JD and I and we just cruised and chatted for a steady 37.xx lap. On Friday ran the 5k on the Bay out and back for about 55 minutes. The week before it was close to 61 minutes. So by just being out running it is getting quicker but that is to be expected when the fitness base has been reduced and the starting pace is slow.
 
Put is all on the line on Sunday with the SMC half. Fully expected about 2.15 with 5k splits of 30/31/32/33. I started off at 6 minute k's but could not hold it - it was just too slow (please I am not boasting and who would at 6 minute k's it was just to slow). So ran the first 5k bang on 27 minutes and was fully expecting an increase over the next 3 loops.
 
I was running alone and in my own head space and I was fine by that. Just focused on rhythm and posture and the distance just seem to glide by. There was an effort but not as much as I expected it to be or feel like. Managed splits of 25/25/24. Finished with 1.48. Very surprised and pleased with the holding of the pace much quicker that expected. BUT that will not happen in the marathon the fade will be greater if I attempt that pace.
 
If I had endurance then that would equate to about a 4 hour marathon. That is NOT going to happen but maybe my starting pace should be realistically for a 4.30 finish but knowing what I am like I will probably set out for a 4.15 finish and fail but enjoy the challenge over the last 12k. A good mate is the 4.15 pacer and that will probably tempt me into starting just behind that group.
 
Any way another 17 days before that decision has to be made. Still a lot of training to be done before then.

1 comment:

Ewen said...

I'll be looking out for you Ray. Don't think you'll have a problem hanging with the 4:15 bus.