Friday, January 15, 2010

Update & Cadbury Marathon

On New Years Day I did do the 10k Twilight run and with a long run in the morning I was expecting it to be slow. However I felt okay and ran with Horrie and we finished in 53 or so. How surprising. Horrie thanks for the company and chat - it has been a while and we must do it more often.

I ran a few times in Tassie before the marathon but more early morning sightseeing and not really training.

The Achilles is slowly improving and so I thought that would not bea big issue but lack of long runs would cause a significant melt down in the second half. However I wanted to give myself a chance of getting under 4 hours so the plan was to run as close to 2 hours for the half with just a few minutes buffer if possible.

I ran 3.59.49 and for where I am at in regard to training and dealing with the recovery from injuries to both Achilles I was very pleased (read surprised and delighted) to be under 4 hours. If it was this time last year I would have expected closer to 3.15 but that was last year .... . The splits were about 1.56 and 2.03 and it was surprising to hold the pace in the second half as I have done no runs over 24k in 4 months and then only 3 of those in the last 2 weeks before the marathon. There was no taper as I had no k's to drop back from.

The injuries gave me little problems during the race and so I am pleased with the progress of the recovery.

Ran an easy Bay this morning as the first run after the marathon. I intend to run another 10 at the Twilight run this afternoon.

6 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

More important than the time is that the injuries did not bother you. That's good news.

Superflake said...

Glad you snuck under the 4hrs again Ray. Hope you can get over the injuries and see you back down near 3hr by the end of the year.

Johnny Dark said...

Pleasing progress Ray.

Samurai Running said...

Well done Eagle!

I knew you could do it ;)

Professor said...

Eagle,

Congrats on the marathon time, and the progress on the injury. (yes I have been lurking!)If you're running the bay slowly, I'm finally up for a hit. I too am back on the road...but slowly. I'll be in touch..

Prof

Ewen said...

Glad it went OK Ray, and that the achilles survived. Some nice runs around the Bay lately too.