Sunday, January 17, 2010

SMC Half Marathon @ 5.34

I thought I could run a bit quicker but there was still some tiredness in the legs from the marathon. The weather was hot and humid and I did struggle over the last third. I ran with Seris and Bernie G and we had agreed that steady and under 2 hours was the aim. We maintained a steady pace and ran 1.57.03. Slower by a few minutes than the last SMC half but the marathon and weather probably account for that.

It is time to:
  • significantly start to increase the weekly distance and pay attention to that; and
  • have some well defined purpose to the daily training sessions.

So I will start the Lydiard base building as I set out in late November 2008. That is days that are aimed to maintain the base (medium and quickish); increase the speed so shorter and faster that any other run and the longest and slowest run of the week on Sunday. The first 2 types of runs will be run on alternate days with Saturday off.

The maintenance run will be in the 20/22k range and at the moment as close to 6 minute ks although I cannot do that at the moment. I am fatigued and so they are slower but that is fine they will over a short period of time come down.

The increase sessions will be either 2 laps of the Bay in about 5.15/5.30 pace or a very hilly 14 to increase strength.

The long run on Sunday should start off at about 24/25k and be increased.

See how we go.

1 comment:

Johnny Dark said...

When I see you start mentioning Lydiard in your posts I know you're starting to get a bit serious.

JD