Monday, September 21, 2009

News at last !!!

GH medal presentation - Seris and I are proud to be standing with some of the other finishers.



Well it has been just over 2 months since I stopped posting. I am not sure what I stopped as I had a lot of interesting things to report. But it wasn't done so we will just move on.



What has happened that is significant ?

Glasshouse 100miles

This event was held on the 12/13 September. I flew up early on the Friday with Seris, Blue Dog and Bernie G. Enjoyed a pleasant day having a look at course from various vantage points, lunch at Woodford local pub and then a quiet afternoon.

It is my 3rd time. The first was a DNF when I became 'navigationally challenged' at about 130k and never found the course again but some 4/5 hours later was able to get back to the finish. Last year it was all about getting around the course which is simple really without getting lost. I managed to finish in about 29.30 just under the cut off.

I was not sure if I was fitter this year but I expected I could go quicker by just being familiar with the course. I agreed to run with Series the whole was it it was her first GH. With no race plan other than to go quicker I did some splits for a 24 hour finish although that was not expected but also I thought Jane and I could keep close to it for 100k or so without really doing any harm to our main aim and that was to finish under the cut off.

We maintained a very steady pace all day and the course or weather did not present any issues. We were on 24 hours pace to the checkpoint at 80k but lost a small amount of time to CP6 at about 90l and then decided that we would then abandon the 24 hour finish which never realistic but it did keep us focused for then first 12/13 hours.

We then just alternated between lots of fast walking and slow jogging for the rest of the race. enjoyed the experience of being out in the pine plantations on a beautiful clear pleasant night. As usual we both had a short bad patch for an hour or so just before sunrise. However having got through that was no incidents we were pleased to see the sky becoming lighter and the return of our energy levels.

We finished in good shape in 27.23 and knew that we could have gone quicker. Next year maybe down in the 25's would be nice. Flew back home early on Monday.

Sunday 20 September: Sydney Marathon 3.50.15






3 comments:

Dan said...

Welcome back Ray... virtually that is. Nice to see you out on the race yesterday. I had my eye open for you... well done after GH too.

Ewen said...

Thanks Ray. I wondered what you'd been up to (I don't often check the ultra threads on CR).

Great GH 100 for you both. Not a bad "warm-down" run in the Sydney Marathon too. Sorry to miss you - I was back having a shower - just saw the first couple in the marathon.

Jen said...

Congratulations on another finish at GH. Bring on GNW!