Friday, September 25, 2009

Back from Melbourne

To all who have posted comments - thanks for taking the time.

I must say this has been e very disappointing year for marathons. One or 2 under 3.30 and the rest best forgotten. I just hope that next year with a bit more structure to my training AFTER Canberra that I can get back 20/25 minutes or so and be nudging 3.20 once again and not being concerned of going over 4 hours. I believe I can do it although the body might say something different.

I flew out on Wednesday morning on the 6.00am flight. I guess I was lucky with all the red dust but at the time I did not know what it was. It was so strange after take off to be climbing through orange clouds and then burst into clear blue skies.
It was only when I heard the news in the taxi into Melbourne that I realised what happened in Sydney and that planes were being delay and diverted away from Sydney. Anyway by 9.00 am I was lecturing a bunch of lawyers on Family Law.

I did not take into account that Melbourne would be colder that Sydney has been of late and so it was a bit brisk, overcast and drizzle as I did my 3 laps of the Tan at sunrise. It is such an historic circuit that I would not miss the opportunity to run it. The great runners like Elliott and Landy ran it with Cerutty standing at the top of Anderson Hill urging them up.

I arrived back last night on the last flight out. Just too tired to run this morning although it was a perfect morning to do so.

Maybe the 5k challenge on Satuday morning and a nice bush run in Sunday.

3 comments:

plu said...

Hi Ray

None running comment

"Anyway by 9.00 am I was lecturing a bunch of lawyers on Family Law."

A mate of mine who was at COL at St Leonard;s and started up PLT at UTS is now a Federal Court Family Court Judge where you gave the talk on Family Law. Spoke to him for his birthday on Monday night and he had given a lecture as well - same event?

BTW - well done with your running

cheers PLu

Rob said...

You continue to amaze me Ray. 100 miles in tough terrain one week and a marathon the next. Super human feats in my book.May you continue to inspire in 2010 more and better.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray

I'm really interested in your Lydiard buildup. I like Lydiard's concepts, but I feel I need more structure, and need to plan my paces. Your definitions for Maintain, Improve and Recovery appeal to me. Where did the heart rate ranges come from? I haven't seen them before in anything I've read about Lydiard. How did you break up your week with Improve, Maintain and Recovery runs.

Thanks for your help.


Mark