Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sydney Marathon :3.50.20

I had no real race plan for this one. It really all depended on how I recovered from the 100 miles the week before.

So All I did was a lap of the Bay on the Friday before at a steady pace. There were no aches or pains however I had finished with quite a strain behind the left knew.
That seemed to settle down during the week although part of the way through the run on Friday it showed it was not recovered.

I was very concerned that this would blow up during the marathon and would cause me to be reduced to a hobble. If it was not for that I would have been physically and mentally in good shape. As it was I was in a negative mental state.

As a result I went out very conservatively and went through halfway in about 1.53 and felt I kept needing to slow down compared to how I felt.
I then keep thinking it was time to push on harder to the finish but then kept thinking it was a long way to walk if things went wrong. I stopped watching splits after halfway and just ran well within myself and decided I would do that until the West City Link turnaround at about 33/34k.

At that stage I felt good and the issue behind the left knee was not even whimpering in complaint. I then decided to look at my watch and push to the finish. I had not maintained my pace since halfway but that was fine as it was certain I would get back easily under 4.00 hours. As I have only run a handful over 4.00 hours I want to avoid being over that for a along as I can.

At about 36k I could LBP and decided that it would be pleasant to run with her to the finish. Without anything being said we locked into a side by side stride and held it to the end. It was an absolute pleasure to run with one of my favourite CR's.


I will have no more racing for a few weeks before having a laugh at the Masters Games and running in a few events. However the main thoughts are now starting to turn to GNW.


Off to Melbourne for a few days of teaching. I expect I will have a morning run around the Tan
.

5 comments:

glenda said...

Good to see you back on the blog...I need to read about running since I can't run myself.

Samurai Running said...

Yes, good to see you back Eagle. Somehow not the same in blogsville without your posts.

Keep them coming!

Superflake said...

Good run Ray a week after Glasshouse. Good luck with GNW training.

Horrie said...

Good to see you get through it without aggravating the knee Ray. Good luck at the Masters Games and see ya at GNW.

Ewen said...

You might surprise yourself in the Masters Games - especially in the half and the cross country. Wish I was still living in Sydney for that one!