Sunday, October 23, 2005

Brindabella : 55.4k : 6.30

First ultra and finished well. Had no expectations about time just wanted to finish but wanted the run to feel 'positive' - that is I didn't die during it and suffered horribly to finish. It was tough but at no stage did I feel beaten by the distance. It was just a matter of keeping the mind positive on the basis that the distance could be completed and at a steady run all the way. Was pleased that at no
I was fortunate because the mind kept up the positive thoughts and thankfully the body responded and just kept moving at a good pace. It was ALL up to halfway and ALL down to the end - out and back course mostly on dirt roads. Managed to get to the top in 3.15 and amazingly got back in the same time. Running down hill is easier in effort but not in pace which is what I suspected would be the case with this back of the fielder. Was pleased that I did not walk at anytime - even on the steep hills I kept running although it was not any faster than the fast walkers I wanted to do this because of the mental effort required.
Tried some new things on the day : Camelback for water, home made GU and home made energy bars - I usually use commerecial GU but wanted to tyr making my own as with the Camelback I had some place to put it - tried the energy bars because of the length of time on my feet. They all worked without a problem.
This was an great training run for a little challenge I have planned in the near future. The equipment was comfortable and worked the fuel also worked well - just some fine tuning to do.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations on finishing your first ultra in such fine style :-)

J.

Spud said...

Sorry I missed you at the end Ray, had to head back to Sydney. You looked comfortable when I saw you near the turnaround. Great training for that "little" adventure you have lined up. Good luck mate, 3 big weekends behind you, fantastic!

Ewen said...

I missed you again Ray! You were too slow ;) Well done - especially running all the way over those hills.

Bernie G said...

Great effort given your recent events, the load you carried, those bloody hills, and the heat. Everything in on target ;o).

Superflake said...

Congratulations on doing your first Ultra Ray. Looks like your plan worked perfectly. Good pacing yet again comes from your experience. Excellent.