Sunday, October 04, 2015

Western Sydney marathon # 212 and 4.40.36

Another Western Sydney Marathon completed I'm Saturday morning. About 18 degrees for the 7.00 am start and 28 degrees when I finished.  It was warm but for me (perhaps at my pace) it was okay. Attention had to be paid to hydration and water on the hat but as I say manageable. 
My energy levels fluctuate significantly these days and the onset of fatigue during a marathon cannot be predicted. 
So I now start a marathon thinking of the worst case and then just run on how I feel and take what comes. Nice surprise for this one was a 4.40 and an pleasant 45 minutes faster than Sydney 2 weeks ago. The improvement has nothing to do with fitness just the ebb and flow of the body with hormone treatment that is now permanent thing in my life.
I only ran 3 times since Sydney and each of those was just 7k or so. I used the same plan as for the Sydney marathon and that is try to get to half way in 2.15 and look forward to the challenge and adventure of the second half. Not my usual pacing style but that might be the way it is for the time being.
Anyway I held on in the second half much better than Sydney. I did consciously slow down on the 4th of the 6th laps and maintained that slower pace fairly well. A couple of weeks and then Melbourne and the following week a new one on the far south coast of NSW at Batemans Bay.

No comments: