Monday, September 21, 2015

Sydney Marathon 5.25 - Oh dear!!!!

Another great event that for me as regards organisation had no issues. Personally a marathon that I would like to forget as regards time but one I will remember for just hanging in there in difficult personal circumstances. 
Number 15 completed to remain a Blue Line Legend for another year. I hope the rest of us made it as well.
Short story is I started off with my great friend Jane the 4.30 pacer and in my present circumstances thought that might be a stretch but was prepared to give it a go. I was never in from and always as planned just behind. Nicely through the half in 2.15 and at that stage 4.30 was going to be very difficult and the second half was going to hurt. I did not know at the time just how much.
The heart rate was never up at all during the race. It was never above a hard walk. After 25k the legs just become so fatigued that running was painful and slow. No more details are needed another than to say the last 17 k from 25k took just over 2 half hours. At times my running was just barely fact enough to pass slow walkers.
A good lesson in just getting the job done no matter what. No comparison to the 3.31 from last year. I just hope sub 4's have not gone for ever but that might be the case with the hormone therapy medication I am now on for the rest of my life. I wonder if yesterday was a window into my new running life.

1 comment:

TokyoRacer said...

Getting the job done no matter what is a good lesson for us all.
Keep running until December and then enjoy a great vacation.