Tuesday, October 02, 2012

Lap of the Lake Marathon : 3.48.30

The time was just 4 minutes quicker than the Sydney Marathon but what a world of difference between the 2. 

Sydney was a disaster both physically and mentally. From early on it felt like a battle to just keep moving and finish. That's not normally the feeling I have in a marathon. Sure I get fatigued over the last 12k's or so but it never feels like a battle just to challenge to be met and to be overcome with strength and power.

The Lap of the Lake boards in all respects just perfect. The time was exceptional but how the race was executed was so much better then Sydney. On the day I could not have done any better and I was very pleased with how I controlled the running on the day. Sure I would have liked to have gone 10 minutes  or so faster but after a while are the tiny completed marathon is relevant but not significant. More often than not what is now important is to run one and feel the result was its best as could be achieved on the day and it was managed using all of my experience.

When I have run a marathon on like that I feel very satisfied and good times is a bonus. 

So much for my feelings about the marathon. What happened?

the Set out to run 3.45 which is 5.20 pace and 1.52.30 even splits. Ran 1.52.55/1.55.35 which is about as close to even with the second half having a 50kph headwind in parts. The strong finish was mainly because of the controlled and steady first half. It was not helped by the 10k run on Friday morning with a friend, a busy Friday with little food and almost no hydration. I was lucky none of those became an issue on the day.

There was timing mats at about each 2k. Don't ask why - just because it is a 5K loop course. What was also also pleasing was that at 4.5k I was overall in 33rd position and by the end in 17th position and was not passed. Pleasing position with about 70 finishers and I was not doubt one of the oldest if not the oldest.   

I was out on Monday for a gentle run and some core strength exercises. I was out again this morning for a swift 5k around the Bay in glorious weather in 22 and then more core strength work. 

Excited as during the week I got my hands on the Salomon Slab 12l running back. It won't make me run faster but at GNW it should let me carry all that I need in comfort. 

2 comments:

Jon in Tokyo said...

Well done.

speedygeoff said...

Hey Mr Eagle, I wonder if you have a copy of the 1973 City to Surf results? I ran that year, my only fast hit-out there in three runs, and I am pretty sure you ran too. It's the one result from the old days I seem to have lost and I would like to know my time/place - reasonably well up as I recall - and see who else was there.