Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Long over due update

Where has the last almost month gone !!!!

I have been running regularly combined with some disruptive travelling. In 10 days Perth, Melbourne and Hobart.

Perth was a quick 2 days teaching. But I managed 2 mornings and an afternoon run along the Swan River. An overnight flight back to Sydney on Wednesday landing in Sydney at 6.30 am Thursday morning. Home for a shower and into the College for a full day catching up. The office on Friday and then an early morning flight to Melbourne on Saturday.

On Saturday evening we caught up with a friend who I traveled with around Europe in 1978. I have seen her since but not for about 10 years. 

The marathon on Sunday. Great to be part of I think the biggest marathon ever in Australia. I was pacing a runner to under 4 hours. She was struggling from 15/20k but we pushed on together until about I would do I left. I was well behind the 4 hour mark but pushed on getting over the line in 4.01.xx. At 25k I was in about 4000th position and finished about 3200 so it was enjoyable to be continually passing runners but I do hate running a  4 hour + marathon.

Within a few hours of finishing I was on a plane to Hobart. A quick change there an off to the cocktail party to open the biggest conference for family lawyers in Australia. I then spent the next 3 days at conference attending lectures, social events and manning a stand for the College. I flew back to Sydney late on Thursday.

Since then life has settled down again. The weather has been perfect in Sydney for running. After I got back on the Sunday I ran the SMC half marathon as the first race in their 2012/2013 season. A surprising 1.40.03 - it has been a long while sine I have run a serious half and it was nice to be so close to 100 minutes. 

Today is Wednesday and so it was JD and the lap of the Bay. We started off very steady and at about 4k he said I could push on if I felt like it. I felt okay so I slightly pushed up the pace. Finished in 30.04 for another nice surprise.

I am running the Carcoar marathon on Sunday. Nothing special planned but to be under 4 and stay as fresh as I can for GNW the next weekend. That GNW is a bitch of a race and it plays in your head space even before your toe the start line. It is respect I am feeling at the moment or raw fear. I am not sure but I know I have done as much training as I can. I might have wanted to more but either could not because of life or making sure that I did not get an overuse injury. I am more than comfortable where I am fitness wise I just have to run smart on the day. 

No comments: