Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How much was running in C2K?

Before the event I spent a lot of time talking to Sue who was head crewie and we knew we needed a good manageable plan for the way things would work as between the crew and me. After much discussion and reflection on what did work last year we decided on the following strategy:


  • For the first 150k or so the car would stop about 1 hour ahead of me;
  • I would run with a hand held and carry food with me;
  • I would not stop at the car;
  • two of the crew would be about 200 metres from the car and would meet me and as I was walking I would have at least 600ml of fluid and eat a selection of food they would offer;
  • As i got near the car if there was anything special I wanted one would run ahead and get it;
  • As I left I would take a fresh hand held with just water and a small plastic bag with some food;
  • I had a bum bag to carry a phone and the food;
  • Then I would continue.
That is pretty much how it happened until about 150k although the stops after 100k were down to about 45 minutes.

The first actual stop at at 104k when I had teas at about 7.30pm (having been moving for 14 hours). It was some warm soup, a complete change of clothes for the night and 20 minutes later I was away.

We had another 20 minutes stop at Dalgety from 3.00am. There is a hall mainly for the crew to eat and sleep. I went in sat down and had some soup anda coffee and was out on the road by 3.20am.

At about 6.30 am just before the short but steep climb we had another 20 minute stop, I had breakfast and another complete change of clothes into shorts and  top for the day. Shoes and socks were never changes during the whole event as I had no issues with them. 

The next stop for about 10 minutes was at about 185k when I given a couple of coffee's. That was about 10.00am. It was then a non stop push to Charlotte's Pass which we arrived at, at 7.30pm except for a couple of roadside massages.

At Charlotte's Pass we had tea and got ready for the 20k round. We were there about 20 minutes.

I am not sure how long in total we stopped for but about a little over an hour. Other than that I was always moving forward in some way. 


No comments: