Saturday, January 10, 2009

14 Weeks to Canberra Marathon

I was away most of the week running in Thredbo. The weather was perfect and the hills were very challenging. Ran from the Village to Kozi a rise of about 1000 metres with a very steep climb up Crakenback to the appropriately named Eagles Nest at the top. I was pleased to be presented with just strong winds on the run up to the summit with cool but not cold conditions.

Otherwise enjoyed plenty of walking, a daily round of golf, sleeping, reading and watching the Sydney Test. It all came to and end too too quickly.

On Friday evening I ran the 10k at the CR Twilight Series at Taren Point. Managed 42.29 on a hilly course and a 40 second improvement from the flat course at the Bay last week. The hope will be to get below 40 in the next 4/5 weeks. It is pleasing to see the times come down and all that I have been doing is base building.

Speaking of base building I have just completed the 6th week of a planned 10 weeks - so 4 weeks to go. I ran 152k this week and have averaged 160.5k each week over the last 6 weeks. I ran a few days before starting the program and have now run 47 days straight and have not felt like the need to have a no running day.

I enjoyed the last 2 weeks of some different runs organised by CR and being away. The changes has allowed me to feel fresh and keen to complete the next 4 weeks of base building before moving onto some hills before the hard Anaerobic work starts in late February.

1 comment:

Samurai Running said...

Looking more like the Eagle of old. You must be happy to see things finally coming together for you. Well done on having the plan a patience to get back!