Monday, January 19, 2009

12 weeks to Canberra Marathon

13.6 Sunday 18 January: SMC Half @4.56
Went to SMC with JD and Seris. I decided to run !!!! What did I say yesterday. Took it very easy and did the half in about 1.44 for a 4.56 pace. No damage done but it certainly did not do it any good in regard to recovery. I was very lucky to finish with no worse of an injury that I had started with.

13.5 Monday 19 January: Common sense starts!!!
Decided I would not run for a few days to get this niggle fixed. However it was such a beautiful morning I had a walk down to the Bay and did some exercises. To rationalise the situation: it is still 12 weeks to the marathon which is plenty of time for a complete preparation, a few days off will not harm the preparation and will probably freshen me up for the next stages of the program.

13.4 Tuesday 20 January : No run
Even with no alarm set I still woke up at 5.00am - rolled over and slept in until 5.45am then headed out for some serious stretching to finally fixed the Achilles and some odd looking exercises to fix a hip imbalance that maybe having a slight ripple affect in slowing down the recovery of the Achilles issue. The Achilles bursitis is almost gone and I would like it gone completely soon. A glorious morning around the Bay.

13.3 Wednesday 21 January : No run
Despite not runnng I was still out doing some much neglected stretching and still working hard on the achilles to get on top of that issue. I missed the usual run with JD. Even out early and not doing much you can feel the humidity becoming an issue.

13.2 Thursday 22 Janaury : Testing the waters and not good
Decided that I would see how the recovery is going and did a slow lap of the Bay. The calf was very 'tight' and felt like it was highly tensioned waiting to snap. Not a good feeling when I thought I would feel and improvement with the rest.

Had a serious feel of it and could feel a lump the size of a small marble that I thought was the scarring from the slight tear a week or so ago. That was not going to go away with just rest. It needs to be massaged out so that the scarred tissue is clean and long - it is a combination of those two things that it making in feel tight. So I was off to me favourite physio this afternoon and she confirmed the problem was as I suspected and then gave the calf one hell of a pounding such that I am now limping. As she says all in the cause of recovery.

Either no running or very very light over the weekend and back for a final pounding on Tuesday and I should be back in full flight later in the week. A small hiccup in the preparation but far enough out to be not much of a problem and a good time to give the body a very good rest before the final 1o weeks or so assault. Best to be fully fit going into that.

13.1 Friday 23 January : No run but excercises
As I am not running to recover then I am sure going to do my execises for the achilles, stretching and to correct an hip imbalance. Did that for about an hour this morning. Anyone see the stunning sunrise over the Bay this morning - a startling orange at first that gradually went to a delicate yellow before the full day was on us.

As I am somewhat addicted to the Twighlight Series I headed out to Oatley Park with JD and Rach as passengers. Even driving out I was saying the sensible thing to do was not to run at ALL but I did put my gear in the car. So I think deep down I had made my mind up in the morning I just had that wimper of doubt that running was not a good idea when I was in full recovery mode.

However common sense was soon disposed of when we arrived and I immediately changed and then said a very BOP steady 5k at a pace that would be no risk of putting the recovery in danger. That lasted for a k or so and then Martin and I ran firm to the end for a 'BOP' 23.45 with thanfully no damage done.

13 Saturday 24 January: No run exercises
Common sense did revail and I did not run today but continued the achilles exercises and I know they are having a positive effect because the discomfort is decreasing the longer I am regualrly doing the stretches.

Thoughts on the week:
A disaster of a week for running with just 45k. On a positive note it has given me a small but substantial break as a good way to start a recovery/building week. I had two base building weeks coming up but next week will be just getting back into significant k's and making sure the calf is fully recovered.

I am thinking I will extend the base building for another week as my ultimate pace in the marathon will be at the level I have attained at the end of the base building. That does not mean I will not get quicker but that speed is limited to the level of 'fitness' I have attained in the base building phase. If the base is low then then final pace will be slower than if the base is higher (higher that is in aerobic capacity).

In the next phases all I am doing is working on my bodies natural speed to bring it up to near its peak. But that speed is predetermined by the mix of muscles I have and I need to do some speed work to bring that out but I can no train it faster that what I was born with.

The profram has been under way 8 weeks and I have run 1141k in that period at an average of 143k per week.

2 comments:

Dan said...

I think I need a dose of your common sense Ray! As runners we are dumb! I've been dumb for the last 6 weeks on my current injury and the clock is seriously ticking for me! Anyway, all the best with get over the injury, I'm sure you'll be right as rain soon. Dan

Anonymous said...

Yes I am being totally dumb at present running with 2 very sore heels, bursitis I think, and now a sore knee. But I have less time to Tokyo...take some rest you have an enormous base