Monday, January 12, 2009

13 weeks to Canberra Marathon

14.6 Sunday 11 January: Maintenance
Planned about 32k @ 5.15
Result 32k @ 5.03
Just after I started I ran into JD going the other way so I decided to run 3 laps of the Bay with him. Soon after we picked up Jo going the other was and she joined us. We were managing about 4.55 pace when JD finished his 3 and I continued on for one more including the Dog loop. It was fine until 3k or so from the finish and then I slowed down and I suppose I bonked but managed to shuffle to the end.

14.5 Monday 12 January: Maintenance
Planned 24k @5.00
Result 19 @ 5.15
I started off strong but about a third of the way in the pace started to slide back slower than 5 minutes per k and it was then I realised I was still very fatigued from yesterday and so eased back on the pace and cut the planned distance. I think with 4 weeks of base building to go I have started to push too hard thinking there is not much time left.

I will have to ease back and trust the pacing I set at the start and be patient. A definite slow recovery day tomorrow and tonight if I get time.

I did manage to get out in the afternoon for an easy recovery run of 10k @5.30. I feel I have been pushing too hard on the recovery runs of late.

14.4 Tuesday 13 January : Recovery

19k @ 5.30
It took a lot of changes in pace to get the session at the average pace I wanted but it varied to close to 5 and then I would back off and it would slide to 6 minute per k pace. The 5 minutes pace felt comfortable so it was good to have a plan to run at 5.30 pace as that made me back off. If I didn't have that plan then I would have again run this session too quickly and then made the planned quick session for tomorrow not happen as well as it should.

14.3 Wednesday 14 January : Maintenance
(Between 5.00 - 5.15 pace)
20k @5.11
The usual hook up with JD for a couple of laps. We had both had tough sessions the day before an ageed we would ease off from the usual sub 5 pace. Just over would be our plan. It went okay. After Sunday's run the left calf is just not right but with some self treatment I will continue to run although it is a bit of concern but more of anirritation thana estriction on free running.


14.2 Thursday 15 January: Maintenance
(Between 5.00 - 5.15 pace)
A slight problem but more later as I planned two laps like Tuesday but a bit faster. I am planning to run a few more Maintenance runs this week because I want to run quick (?) at the twilight run on Friday night and SMC on Sunday so some maintanance runs should see me maitain fitness without pushing the pace and by doing that it is a kind of very active taper.

The left calf could be felt the whole first lap without getting any worse then about 150m from the end of the lap there was just one slight but sharp pain and so I stopped. I was very close to home went here and iced it. Ican feel it as I walk today but it is not causing me to limp or favour it. It is an overuse and so a few days rest and treatment should see it mended. The quick runs will not occur if I ran at all.
Still the lap was 11k @5.06

14.1 Friday 16 January
Decided not to run this morning. The first morning without running in 52 days. Decided to run the Twighlight Series in teh afternoon but took it very easy in 46.40 or so.

14 Saturday 17 Janaury
No run at all in the day

Comments
Over all a disappointing week. Because of the calf issue I never really did a session that contained quality and one with any quantity. It was a struggle each run with the feeling being that I was always just one stride of a major issue. Why are runners so dumb and run when they know it is no good and the risk of making the injury more serious ignored. I guess sometimes we hope an improvement will come as an overnight miracle by wishing instead of accepting the reality of needing to take a few days off and letting the body do what it needs to do.
Still there has been 7 weeks of base building with 133 k this week. The total for this build up is 1096 at a weekly average of 156k

1 comment:

Rob said...

Hi Eagle, I have't been in for a while. When I saw 13 Weeks I got a bit of a jolt. I had better get myself out of the doldrums and do some work.

You certainly working very hard. All the best.