Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Week 15 to Canberra Marathon

16.6 Sunday 28 December: Fun and Quarry Road
I have not run the course and it was much more difficult that I thought. I had no time plans and just wanted to run as much of the hills as I could to test out the Achilles. I did run them well I tried not to walk them and the Achilles held up well. All up 26k in just under 3 hours.

16.5 Monday 29 December: Recovery (5.15 - 5.45 pace range)
Planned: As far as I could with the pace as fast as I could maintain
Result: 24k @ 5.22
It was 2 laps and I do this so that I can keep and eye on the pace and try to do the second lap faster than the first. That the way it happened with the first lap @5.24 and the second at 5.19.

I felt okay after yesterday on some testing hills. It was a good session for pace and the HR was mostly within the zone range. I just hope it was not too fast as recovery at this stage of the base building.

16.4 Tuesday 30 December: Improve (4.30 - 5.00 pace range)
Planned: 18.4k within the range
Result: 18.4k@ 4.47
Again 2 identical loops but with a minute slow down on the second. I was doing a similar run a few weeks ago and was not able to get below 5 pace so maybe things are moving in the right direction.

16.3 Wednesday 31 December: Improve (4.30 - 5.00 pace range)
Planned: 18.4k within the range
Result: 18.4k @4.43
Took my resting pulse before getting out of bed and it was at 50. A week or so ago it was 47/48. I will have to take it for the next few days as a rising resting HR is a sign of over training.

The run was the usual one with JD but this morning two full laps which is the same as I ran yesterday. I did not feel confident that I would be able to manage another hard session after yesterday and thought I would struggle to get below 5 per k.

JD started off at his usual metronome pace at well below 5 and I clung on desperately for a lap and a half. I then felt strong and JD gave permission for me to run to the end how I felt. I felt fatigued but strong and pushed hard to the end. Sometimes I find that when I am fatigued it is easier to pick the pace up and get some momentum and then use your endurance to maintain the pace. Sometimes at a slightly slower pace I find it a bit of a struggle to maintain form and usually find that I am fighting the running instead of gliding along at the quicker pace although it is hurting more.

JD mentioned a quote from our mate Vat who said you know you are running hard when it feels like acid is in your veins. It was not quite acid in the last part of the run but if it was another 5k I am sure it would have been.

Again a stronger second lap. The first lap was 4.46 pace and the second 4.40.

16.2 Thursday 1 January 2009 HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! Black Stump and fun
A 33k tough bush run at Berowra. Ran with Seris and finished in 4.12 or so. Pace etc of no concern on this course because it is so varied. was pleased to easily run up the 3k hill from the ferry and the other hills. I was fatigued at the end but managed to push the last 4k easily under 5.00 pace and could have kept going.

16.1 Friday 2 January: Recovery (5.15 - 5.45 pacing)
Was very stiff in the achilles when I woke up and the mind said don't run or if you do it will be an ugly hobble. I decided to do what I could and did a good easy warm up and then decided to do the 2 loops I did with JD on Wednesday but at recovery pace if I could manage it. Never believe what you mind sometimes tells you it wants the soft option but overide it and take the HTFU option.

Lap 1 in 5.38 pace and then lap 2 in 5.20 and it was getting easier as I warmed up. Total of 19k for 5.29 overall pace.

Twilight Series at the Bay in the afternoon. A pleasing 43.06 @ 4.18 pace. Just over 2 minutes faster than the last one run in mid December. It all indicates that the training is going well.

I am off Thredbo for 5/6 days and may not post during that time. My wife's mother is not well and I think I will be back next Friday. I am looking forward to running up Crackenback and then out and back to Kozi - it should be very cold and a welcome mid summer change.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What I saw of you during the latter stages of our run yesterday indicated to me that even this early in your programme you have the ability to hold a 'firm' pace over an extended distance.

Always a pleasure to train with you but I can see I'm really going to have to work harder to keep up during our coming mid-week runs.

JD

Clairie said...

I hate reading your blog and being reminded how little time I have to get fit for Canberra!!!!

Big hugs for the new year Ray. Feels like ages since I have seen you and can't wait to see you all again.

Your running is going well, fingers crossed you keep up the excellent work and minimise and injuries.

Hope your wifes mum is better. Give my love to the family.

xxxx
Clairie