Monday, December 22, 2008

Week 16 to Canberra Marathon

16.7 Sunday 21 December : SMC and Improve
Planned 21.1 k @ 4.30 - 5.00
Result 21.1k @ 4.36 (97.20)

The only runs that have gone faster are a couple of 10ks and so it was pleasing after a big week and a 10k on Saturday evening to manage this pace over the longer distance. However I still have a long way to go as I want to be down to 4.25 pace in February for SMC and then 4.20 in March.


16.6 Monday 22 December : Recovery
Planned 21k @ 5.30 (2 laps of the Bay)
Result : 21k @ 5.30
I was a bit fast on the first lap at 5.25 but then slowed it down a but too much on the second and increased the pace on the 3rd to fluke a pace that was as planned. I did need to keep slowing down on the first lap as the pace kept creeping up to 5.15 and that was first not going to last for 3 laps and was the wrong pace for recovery. Legs feel a little heavy and so I will have to think about what session I will do tomorrow.


16.5 Tuesday 23 December : Maintain/Improve ??
Planned: 22k @ 5.15
Result 24k @ 5.00
All yesterday I felt very fatigued and heavy in the legs. So When I woke up this morning feeling not much better I thought it would be an ugly and disappointing session. However it was planed to run steady at 5.15 which is the slow end fora maintenance run at the moment.
However after a few k's things felt much better and I just ran as I felt for a few k's before looking at my watch. I was stunned to see the pace was at 5.00 ks per minute. I was even more stunned when I managed to maintain that pace for the whole of the 24k
If I was running an improve run that would be the slowest pace. I am not sure if my fitness has in the last few days jumped a level. I do believe that sometimes your fitness does not improve in a steady line but sometimes makes jumps to a better level.


16.4 Wednesday 24 December : Improve
Planned 16k @ 4.45
Result : 19.25k @ 4.41

Yeah first day of my almost 3 week break !!!!

The regular Wednesday run with JD for dog loop lap of the Bay in 43.45 @ about 4.43 and then I did a 10k out and back along the challenge course for 46.36 @ 4.39. It was a tough session as I was at my limit after yesterday but it was pleasing to feel I was running strong eventhough I thought I woul dbe much much closer to 5 minute pace. It was pleasant overcast weather but it seemed like the humidity was up.

Finished off with 20 mintes of stretching that usually I do not have time for.

16.3 Thursday 25 December : Recovery
Merry Christmas. I decided to have some space and did not do the Christmas run around the Bay. Instead ran around the Bridges Run around Sydney Harbour. It is very hilly in the first half and I have not run it for 10 months or so. 26k @ 6.15 which is fine for this recovery run over the hills.

16.2 Friday 26 December : Improve
Planned 20k @ 4.30 - 5.00
Result: 18.25k @ 4.55
It was very late night last night so I was lucky to be out by 6.00am and feeling reasonably okay. It was 2 laps that around the Bay and the dog loop that were very even.

16.1 Saturday 27 December : Maintain
Planned 14k @ 5.00 - 5.15
Result: 12k @ 5.07
Up early and ran a solid session and the joined up with the 5k Challenge around the Bay. Ran that @ 5.04 that was too slow but I was pacing the 25 minute group.

Thoughts:
Another solid week with 160k run. No missed days and no 'junk ks' unless 26k over hills in 6.15 fits that. I seem to be able to run closer to 5 minute ks more often than not but when I push on the improve sessions they are not close enough to 4.30 often enough but I hope that will come with a few more weeks. I have now been on base training for 4 weeks with 6 more to go.

Total run in the 4 weeks (Sunday is the start of my week or another way Saturday is the last day of my week as Sunday is marathon day - so the last day of the taper is a Saturday) is 646 or 162 per week. I have not found that a physical strain but difficult to fit in with reagrd to life and time.


1 comment:

Rob said...

As always, Ray, you are training hard. 2008 must have seen you clock up a record milage.

All the best for your Canberra campaign and happy New Year.