Sunday, June 02, 2019

Western Sydney Marathon 4.31

I ran the Western Sydney Marathon yesterday that is held at the Olympic Rowing centre at Penrith - 6 laps to be exact. Its 42.2k no matter how you run it but I prefer an out and back or point to point course bit it is what it is.

I had just 6 days recovery from the last one. With a lack of a solid base of fitness because I have not put in the months of solid consistent training then running them was always going to be a challenge. Also dare I say as I get older recovery is slower that in the past.

I squeezed in just two 17k runs on Wednesday and Thursday

The conditions were perfect. 10 degrees, sunshine and no wind. The maximum at mid morning was not going to be high so the weather was not going to be an issue. This event was usually held in late September when the temperature was generally a significant issue late in the morning. 

I ran hard the first half just to see what I could  I could do and passed through the half in 2.10 - my quickest for a while. I knew the second half was then going to be a challenge to hold that pace and not have the wheels really fall off. I managed to hold the pace in the second half much better than I expected andwas very surprised to run 4.31 and a few minute  quicker than last week. 

2nd in the 60 + age group three weeks off 70. Another marathon next t Sunday when I travel to one of my favourite small marathons at South West Rocks on the coast just out of Kempsey.


1 comment:

Anne Victor said...

Well done, Ray. Getting faster every week.
Kind regards,
Anna